Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Oct 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #196 of 1,377
  Are there plans to calibrate the Abyss? If not, is it possible to send in a prayer for custom calibration?

Sure, insure yours, ship it to us and we'll do our best to calibrate it. Pretty sure the customs will love it.

Honestly, it's a real pain to generate profiles for super expensive cans. We either have to buy them or wait for enough to come in for individual calibration.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #197 of 1,377
Hi,
I successfully activated the trial version of sonarworks headphone plugins("not purchased" red message) along with vsthost(free software). The problem is that after I load the plugin, through vsthost and reach the settings' interface the add curve button, where you can load new headphone curves, is inactive.

first picture:
http://sonarworks.com/2015/02/sonarworks-reference-3-headphone-calibration-plug/

Actually, the only active buttons are calibrate, simulate and advanced. Nothing else seems to work and the power button of the plugin(down right, in the picture) is red. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #198 of 1,377
I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, but I know I was confused at first because the plugin was set to 'speaker' instead of 'headphone' - it's the little slider on the top right that toggles between those two modes.  Maybe you're set on speaker mode?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #199 of 1,377
Thanks for the response. No there isn't such problem.

I forgot to say that I'm using Windows 10 pro 64 bit. I have tried on both versions(32 and 64 bit) of VSThost and Dark Wave Studio 4.9.8. . Other plugins work perfectly. I 've also emailed them more than one day ago.

Here is a picture of the problem. Only three buttons are active, nothing else, not even the slider on the right. Although sound can be passed through the plugin and input/output bars show activity:

and the screen after successful trial activation:

The chain is virtual cable output--> input engine --> reference3.dll(plugin) --> output engine -->(speakers) xonar stx

Remaining time is 20 days.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #202 of 1,377
I recently tested it as administrator, logged in as administrator, changed permissions... still nothing. Very strange behaviour. Is it even compatible with windows 10?
Can I uninstall and reinstall it, or will this terminate the trial?

OK SOLVED. I figured it out. You need to activate it logged in as administrator. Then instead of "not purchased" it reads "20 days".

Thanks for your interest.

Oct 15, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #204 of 1,377
First, I want to clarify that I'm just an audiophile who likes professional, namely unfatiguing, sound. I was seeking ways to improve my dt990 pro. Make them sound closer to my HD650.

The reference3 plugin sounds more or less unhyped, as you said, apart from the bass which can be bloated on many songs. Otherwise, the end result is very similar to what I achieved manually by using the goldenears.net measurements as a reference. Their methods are pseudoscientific and have been criticised heavily by many, however their measurements correspond very well to what I perceive(and your charts). 

Regarding bass, I don't think there is a flaw in your methodology. The problem is most dynamics can't reproduce loud, undistorted bass and that is mainly the reason why we see a steep roll off. Strong distorted bass subjectively sounds ever louder and unpleasant. IMHO, it would be best If you could restrict your filters in the 100Hz-10.000Khz range. As Dr Sean Olive from Harman noticed, the frequency extremes can be influenced by so many factors that it's not meaningful to try correcting them.
Say your measurements show a 10db drop at 14Khz. You can't be sure if this deviation corresponds to what everyone will hear and If you apply eq in order to correct it you must then lower the total spl by 10db, stealing power from your amp. All for an uncertain result.

That's all from me. Keep up the good work.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #208 of 1,377
I seem to be having an issue with activating the software. When I try to configure the dsp in foorbar the sonarworks window opens up but it's essentially frozen and I can't click anything on it.

Any ideas what is causing this?

UPDATE: Just Installed Jriver, and the plug in is now letting me select the menu to enter code. I have never used Jriver and have no intentions on sticking with it, as I much prefer Foobar with VST 2.4 adapter, by Yegor Petrov. Anyone got this to work with foobar?

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #209 of 1,377
Hi, 

For anyone using Sonarworks with the HD800 I got the go ahead to re-post this alternate profile: THIS

The stock HD800 profile was slightly rolled off at both ends of the spectrum. Full bandwidth correction requires quite a lot of power to compensate in the sub-bass frequencies. Sonarworks needed to cover the range of endusers especially engineering pros who don't necessarily have high power audiophile headphone amps. If your amp has drive to spare give this profile a shot. Personally, I really prefer it to the stock profile. 

Also, you may have heard that Sennheiser is getting ready to release the updated HD800s. I would've been excited were it not for the fact that, with Sonarworks, there's nothing more I want from the old HD800. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #210 of 1,377
  Hi, 

For anyone using Sonarworks with the HD800 I got the go ahead to re-post this alternate profile: THIS

The stock HD800 profile was slightly rolled off at both ends of the spectrum. Full bandwidth correction requires quite a lot of power to compensate in the sub-bass frequencies. Sonarworks needed to cover the range of endusers especially engineering pros who don't necessarily have high power audiophile headphone amps. If your amp has drive to spare give this profile a shot. Personally, I really prefer it to the stock profile. 

Also, you may have heard that Sennheiser is getting ready to release the updated HD800s. I would've been excited were it not for the fact that, with Sonarworks, there's nothing more I want from the old HD800. 

Awesome! Would you mind instructing me as to how to install the profile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back