Somic v2 Headphone Review by mark2410
Jul 12, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #31 of 69
It will sounds okay on PC i guess but sansa will need an amp. Get an external dac/amp or a dap would drive the cans properly.

No it's not, V2 has smaller driver but tuned quite similar 

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #33 of 69
  Do you think those are okay for outdoors? Can I go walk or run or jump with them? Would rain destroy them?

They are open cans, and the cable is like ~3m, so they would not be my first choice for those activities..

However, received mine a couple of days ago. Just had time for a quick listen, but they sound very good OOTB. Based on the price, my expectations weren't that high, and these easily surpassed them.

Thinking about changing pads, though. I've had good results with the pleather Brainwavz pads with other, closed cans, I've liked both the memory foam pleather and the angled pleather, but I have never tried their velour pads. Would they be an upgrade, and if so, would I be better off with the flat ones or the angled velour ones for these cans? Isolation is out of the question with these anyway.. :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 69
The open cans are in this situation quite good because I prefer open headphones outside and actually overall. Three meter cable might be a problem but either I could try to shorten it or fold and keep in pocket with mp3 player. Bigger concern is durability, like what would happen if they would fall, how would they react to rain and how well do they hold on head. Sometimes you need to move fast to side and I do wonder would they slip. Also wondering would how would they take sweat in hot summer. I know they ain't sporty headphones but for some reason almost all sporty headphones have very poor sound quality for me.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #35 of 69
  The open cans are in this situation quite good because I prefer open headphones outside and actually overall. Three meter cable might be a problem but either I could try to shorten it or fold and keep in pocket with mp3 player. Bigger concern is durability, like what would happen if they would fall, how would they react to rain and how well do they hold on head. Sometimes you need to move fast to side and I do wonder would they slip. Also wondering would how would they take sweat in hot summer. I know they ain't sporty headphones but for some reason almost all sporty headphones have very poor sound quality for me.

They feel pretty durable (haven't put them through a lot of abuse though, just first impression), and they sit pretty well on my head at least. I would not want to get any rain on mine. Can't say how they would be during longer periods in hot conditions, but velour pads ought to be better than pleather, at least..

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #36 of 69
Also do they need any amplifier or will PC SoundMAX // Sansa Clip worth with them by itself? I also need to see equalizer chart for them before I buy but I can't find it.

Also, they are half-open, yes?

You can use an DAC amplifier but your PC might be able to power them. The sound should be balanced but just a bit warmer. They are fully open as well.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #37 of 69
You can use an DAC amplifier but your PC might be able to power them. The sound should be balanced but just a bit warmer. They are fully open as well.

As for PC, I'm not worried because I do have 3 different HD sound cards there(two on motherboard and one on video card) and also own stationary DC powered amplifier, just nameless and of not highest grade. But I guess Sansa Clip would benefit from portable AMP?

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #38 of 69
  Do you think those are okay for outdoors? Can I go walk or run or jump with them? Would rain destroy them?

errr id never recomend using open cans for outside.  and frankly usless your going to be in the middle of nowhere by yourself its just rude to everyone near you.

as for running or jumping, id say no theyll fall off.  as for rain, is there any headphones that rain wouldnt destroy?

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 69

errr id never recomend using open cans for outside.  and frankly usless your going to be in the middle of nowhere by yourself its just rude to everyone near you.

as for running or jumping, id say no theyll fall off.  as for rain, is there any headphones that rain wouldnt destroy?

Duct tape thoroughly, and then pull a plastic bag over your head and you'll be fine!
wink.gif

But yeah, these would not be my go-to headphones for any sort of outdoor usage.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #40 of 69
Well, I am actually looking for some headphones for outdoor usage like KOSS Porta Pro. I know it's completely different type of product but both are open headphones and I need them to be this way. Somic's V2 are not foldable, have long cable and are much heavier but this is completely no problem for me as quality of sound should easily compensate it. I am not sure if they hold on head that much worse than Porta Pro's or some similar PX100's and such, but I know there isn't any big problem with KOSS/Seniheisers and I just don't see anything special in them neither. As for water, it's not about sinking them of course, but it's obvious that sometimes you can get caught by rain. Also wondering on durability, while cables look very solid and nice, what will happen when these headphones will fall down from desk or from head? Would they get damaged? This is where many quality portable headphones shine.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #41 of 69
  Well, I am actually looking for some headphones for outdoor usage like KOSS Porta Pro. I know it's completely different type of product but both are open headphones and I need them to be this way. Somic's V2 are not foldable, have long cable and are much heavier but this is completely no problem for me as quality of sound should easily compensate it. I am not sure if they hold on head that much worse than Porta Pro's or some similar PX100's and such, but I know there isn't any big problem with KOSS/Seniheisers and I just don't see anything special in them neither. As for water, it's not about sinking them of course, but it's obvious that sometimes you can get caught by rain. Also wondering on durability, while cables look very solid and nice, what will happen when these headphones will fall down from desk or from head? Would they get damaged? This is where many quality portable headphones shine.

For each his own, of course.

Would love to be able to answer your question, but unless you're willing to buy me a new set if they break, I feel reluctant to try their durability by dropping them on the floor.. :)

They don't seem overly frail to me, but I hope I never need to find out if I'm right or not.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #42 of 69

well they werent the most grippy headphones ever so they wouldnt be on my list to try for running about it but they are so cheap, well the worst that happens is you buy and find they arent so suitable.  just a thought wha about http://www.head-fi.org/t/809117/hisoundaudio-hsa-hs200-pro-review-by-mark2410

or soemthing like the v-JAYS? http://www.head-fi.org/t/440763/v-jays-review

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #43 of 69
Thanks, I guess I am going for something else than Somic's V2 right now because I've decided to go for portables. But they are still my top picks when I will be getting normal headphones.

Jul 16, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #44 of 69
  Thanks, I guess I am going for something else than Somic's V2 right now because I've decided to go for portables. But they are still my top picks when I will be getting normal headphones.

yeah i think that may be best for you, the V2's whil you could use on the go just arent intended for it, for starters they are open and id really never suggest anything open for outdoor use.    btw i have review of the [size=10.5pt]Superlux HD662 EVO coming up in the next little bit and its closed, cheap and if its anything like as good as the HD681EVO was for the price they could be of interest to you.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back