Somewhat cheap headphones
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gngf123

New Head-Fier
I have been happy with my current headphones for a while now, but I think I should really get a newer pair, but don't have much to spend.

My budget is £50, which normally works out about $70, but we get ripped off over here so take this lightly. I will be using them mostly on my computer and generally will be listening to metal and hard rock, but I do vary into other genres if I am in the right mood. I don't care about sound leaking, I just want the best sound quality I can get on this sort of budget while also being comfortable.

Ebay is also out of the question.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 13
Sounds like the SR60 might fit your budget.

EDIT: Also, be sure to look at the thread that's about 4 or 5 down (as of right now) from this one on the FRONT page of this forum.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 13
I have been looking through the threads on here. In one of the threads I noticed JVC HA-RX900's getting pretty highly thought of, and they are right on the edge of my budget. (£55 on amazon with free delivery). They seem to be the top so far. I have also been looking at sennheiser HD428's and Goldring DR150's. The HD428's, like the JVC pair, are very slightly over what I said I would pay, but I am fine with it if they are worth it. The DR150's actually come in at £48 on amazon and seem pretty good, so I was most tempted by these before looking through  the threads, but now I am not sure.

I had a look for SR60's, but they look out of the question. 

I should note, the only reason why ebay (and other websites) are out of the question is that my family are extremely technophobic. Amazon and a few others are the only websites they really trust me to buy from.  I could buy in secret, but I don't know how comfortable I would be with that.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 13
DR150s are fairly bright without EQ. Depends what you're after.

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Under budget and on Amazon are the AKG K44 and Sennheiser HD201. Both have a detailed and dynamic sound. I don't like them, but the HD202 have more bass, which may suit you. I know someone with the Goldring DR150 and he raves about them. I have the Goldring NS1000 and think they are excellent. Again, detail and dynamics are very good.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I have been looking through the threads on here. In one of the threads I noticed JVC HA-RX900's getting pretty highly thought of, and they are right on the edge of my budget. (£55 on amazon with free delivery). They seem to be the top so far. I have also been looking at sennheiser HD428's and Goldring DR150's. The HD428's, like the JVC pair, are very slightly over what I said I would pay, but I am fine with it if they are worth it. The DR150's actually come in at £48 on amazon and seem pretty good, so I was most tempted by these before looking through  the threads, but now I am not sure.

I had a look for SR60's, but they look out of the question. 

I should note, the only reason why ebay (and other websites) are out of the question is that my family are extremely technophobic. Amazon and a few others are the only websites they really trust me to buy from.  I could buy in secret, but I don't know how comfortable I would be with that.

Why? I bought mine off Amazon.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Why? I bought mine off Amazon.

The SR60i is the only one available over amazon that I could find, and that comes in over budget at £90. That is why they seemed out of the question. Maybe they are on the US version and I could import, but I would have thought that would have been more expensive.

K44's and HD201's both fall far below budget at roughly £20 a pair. But at that kind of price, I would have thought that they wouldn't have been up to scratch. The HD202  does seem to be slightly better, but how about K77 or K99? They all fall well below budget, how do they compare to other sets I mentioned?

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

The SR60i is the only one available over amazon that I could find, and that comes in over budget at £90. That is why they seemed out of the question. Maybe they are on the US version and I could import, but I would have thought that would have been more expensive.

K44's and HD201's both fall far below budget at roughly £20 a pair. But at that kind of price, I would have thought that they wouldn't have been up to scratch. The HD202  does seem to be slightly better, but how about K77 or K99? They all fall well below budget.

OK, I didn't realize you weren't in the US.....my bad!
redface.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

K44's and HD201's both fall far below budget at roughly £20 a pair. But at that kind of price, I would have thought that they wouldn't have been up to scratch. The HD202  does seem to be slightly better, but how about K77 or K99? They all fall well below budget, how do they compare to other sets I mentioned?

The K44 and HD201/2 are made in volume with simple designs and cheaper, but tough plastics. The actual sound quality is as good as many a £100 pair of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back