Something's missing
Jun 23, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FiNoobie

New Head-Fier
I have a COWON D2 with all FLAC files loaded on it. I use Grado Rs1 cans and a Headroom Micro Amp. Is there anything else I can do to get the optimum sound quality from this setup? When I listen to these files there's just "something" missing. I use an interconnect that I had laying around from some other gadget that I bought years ago - do you think it might be this? do these cables really have an affect on the SQ? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 8
There's nothing "missing," per se, but more like there's something "wrong." You're pairing up home headphones with a semi-home DAC through a portable source. Essentially, because of that setup, you're ultimately limiting yourself from hearing the true potential of the RS-1.

From my personal experience, and after two years of trying to do so, I realized that is best to keep portable and home setup(s) seperate.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing "missing," per se, but more like there's something "wrong." You're pairing up home headphones with a semi-home DAC through a portable source. Essentially, because of that setup, you're ultimately limiting yourself from hearing the true potential of the RS-1.

From my personal experience, and after two years of trying to do so, I realized that is best to keep portable and home setup(s) seperate.
wink.gif

Thanks for the feedback TMM. Makes sense. I have a pair of Sure E2s that I used before the Grados but they weren't doing it in the bass department.

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Check to make sure your D2 is set-up correctly. Volume should be at 49/50, and there should be NO Jeteffects on, and finally EQ should be at normal (0/0/0/0/0). I have my D2 set like this, and when coupled with my Predator amp, it sounds nearly identical to my USB DAC output from my PC (which is a very good thing).

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check to make sure your D2 is set-up correctly. Volume should be at 49/50, and there should be NO Jeteffects on, and finally EQ should be at normal (0/0/0/0/0). I have my D2 set like this, and when coupled with my Predator amp, it sounds nearly identical to my USB DAC output from my PC (which is a very good thing).

Hey robo, thanks! I think that's my problem - my D2 vol is set to like 25-30. the rest is how you said, the EQ is flat. The only effect I have is MachBass set between 3-5, depending on the type of music, and BBE is at 2. Mybe I will raise the volume and take off the MachBAss and BBE for starters.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recomend 49/50 volume which is remarkably close to line out. Ditto on EQ and Jet Effects. I think you'll be happy with the result.

Aimless, what do you mean remarkably close to line out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back