Something Grado-Like for <$200
Nov 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says all. I'm getting an iPod Touch in a few weeks and need a decent pair of earphones to do it justice. In terms of sound quality, I enjoy two extremes - a mid-range heavy presentation a la Grado, and a neutral presentation a la Etymotics. Build quality is also a factor, as I tend to use my portable equipment more so than baby it.

It's been a long time since I've researched portable equipment, but I'm hoping resident experts here can steer me in the right direction.

Regards,
Nick

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 11
There was just a thread with this same title almost EXACTLY! Have you searched?

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 11
Up till now I still do not understand why people call the ER4p Grado-like, when the only thing they have in common is lots of highs. Anyway if you want something in between the Grados and the Etys you definitely want the Sleeks, which seems to have the best of both worlds, good forward and exciting sound with lots of air and a respectable soundstage.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 11
i dont find x5 and sa6 to be similar. the images and sleek audio have different sound signatures that is immediately recognizable the moment you hear them. the x5 have more bass than the sa6, however the bass on the sa6 with new bass port and bass + pinhole mod go deeper in my findings. something i find really great with the images are they sound really really good for drums.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 11
The SA6s are more accurately ATH like than Grado like, but then again the ATHs are probably the closest to the Grados you can get. They are not as aggressive or (at times) unbearably bright and fatiguing as the grados, but they still have lots of nice treble and have a forward, engaging and speedy mids.

And isn't the RE1 supposed to be very dark and smooth? That's very ungrado-like.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 11
The re-1s that is reviewed by clieos has a layer of foam while production ones do not.

Clieos mentioned that without the foam, re-1s sound more gradoish.
I've never heard of the grado sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back