Something between a HD518 and HD650/LCD2.2s
Sep 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vkalia

500+ Head-Fier
I recently went on an upgrade binge and got myself a HD650 and also an LCD2 for home-use.

I travel a lot and so am looking for something I can set up in a hotel with a smaller amp/DAC rig (likely an O2+Dac or Matrix M-Force, or just an Ocean Audio Bravo) and get Nice Sound.    

I'd prefer not to travel with the 650 or the LCD2 - so I am looking for something that is an upgrade on the 518s while staying under $500.    

My requirements:
- Open headphones
- Should be easily driven by small, transportable amps
- Dynamic sound with a full-blooded mid-end and impactful, well-controlled deep bass (not boomy mid-bass)
- Musical - not dry/analytical/boring
- Good transient response
- Not bright.   No, nein, nyet, nahi.

Types of music I'll be listening to on these cans - everything, really.  

So far, the Fidelio X-1s seem like the best option.      Anything else I should be looking at?

Ta!

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Hmm, thanks for that recommendation - I'd like to try something other than a Senn, though.   And also go up the price chain a little to the $350 mark and above.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 5
What about the Grado SR-60i Folding Headphones? I'm not totally sure they'll give you the sound you'll like but then again it's been a while since I've listened to them so might be worth looking in to to see what you think.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 5
I used to own a pair of Grado 60s and they actually put me off headphones for nearly a decade - I found them really uncomfortable!

I now have the AT-AD900X on my list as well as the Fidelio X1s.    I probably should listen to the HE-400s as well, to figure out if I can tolerate their highs (a lot of people have said they are quite bright), but that is going to be a pain in the rear, as I have no shops nearby carrying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back