Something better than the V6? Please help!
Sep 20, 2002 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

perfektrtw

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have been searching through this website and Headwize, but I can't seem to really figure out what I want to get. Basically, I have the Sony V6's right now, and they are GREAT... but now I want something even better
redface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is the issue I am seeing right now though. Most of these reviews have to do with.. well, music I never ever listen to
wink.gif
My music listening is more metalish/hardrock than anything. Bands like System of a Down, Lifehouse, to slightly more "obscure" bands like: Boy Sets Fire, Queens of the Stone Age, Dredg, and Sparta. (Dang I love Sparta)...

But I also occasionally will listen to rap.. like 2Pac and Dr.Dre, and the occasional electronic trance/ambient cd (stuff like Crystal Method -Vegas, Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge, and DJ Tiesto). I NEVER listen to stuff like classical, blues, jazz, etc. This almost seems to be a problem because that type of music seems to be more prominent in the "audiophile" community... but I love high quality sound quality as well!

Basically I am looking for a higher quality V6 I think, based on the types of music I listen to, but I am not 100% sure at this, I am no expert at this stuff, the V6 was my first headphone purchase after much review from these websites a year a go or so
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have pretty sensitive ears when it comes to comfort, so from what I am reading, the Grado's don't seem like a very good choice for me. These headphones can be open or closed however, I will listen to these at home only. I don't really have much high quality equipment, and I doubt I will be purchasing a amplifier with it, unless I can get a decent one for pretty cheap. Of course I can always get the amplifier down the line, but it might not be right away. Price for the headphones themself are not too much of an issue, but I would say anything over 300-400 is too much. But I would like to hear all your recommendations, regardless
evil_smiley.gif

Based on this, could you please recommend some 'phones for me? I appologize for the length of my post, but I really wanted to try and give you as much information as I could on what I like to listen to and what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch guys, it is much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 25
You should find a local dealer that carries Grados and go try them on. A lot of people have absolutely no qualms about their comfort. I'm one of those people -- no, they're not all cushy-cuddly, but they're not uncomfortable.

Grados have a frequency response similar to the Sony MDR-V6, so if you like that general sound, you'll probably like what you get out of a Grado. Any of the Grados from the SR-80 (MSRP $95) on up will get you noticably punchier bass, which is a large part of why I prefer my SR-80 to my V6 for almost all music. I'm listening to Pearl Jam's "Go" right now, and it just sounds so much more intense than on the V6.

I have a set of Grado HP-1000 (HP-2) headphones on their way -- a $600 investment that attests to how much I like the Grado house sound. I also picked up a new Sony SCD-CE775 to run them with, and I'm working on getting a good amp for them. That, however, is another of the benefits you get from a Grado -- you won't need an amp right away. With their low imepedance and high sensitivity, they'll sound relatively better without an amp than most other high-quality headphones. Of course, when you get the cash to buy a nice amp, they'll sound even better.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other good recommendations. But don't let the supposed comfort issue turn you off from a great line of headphones.

kerelybonto

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 25
Well perfektrtw, based COMPLETELY on the way I read your post, the following are some ideas for unamped use with a portable source.

Since you didn't mention what you're using for a source, I'm assuming that it's some kind of newer portable CD player or MP3 player.

I'm also assuming that you're able to drive your current MDR-V6s to a satisfactory volume level, but not much more.

Sony MDR-V900 - 24 ohms - 5-30,000 Hz

Sony MDR-V700DJ - 24 ohms - 5-30,000 Hz

Sony MDR-CD780 - 32 ohms - 5-30,000 Hz

Sennheiser HD 500 - 32 ohms - 14-21,000 Hz see also

I'd also strongly suggest that you audition any of these headphones with your own source and music before any purchase.

TravelLite

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 25
you could buy the grados, get the other sonys, etc., and still have plenty of money left over for jmt's cha47 amp. get the cha47 amp. it will make the biggest difference, especially with bass heavy music like you enjoy. i have heard that the cmoy is also a great rock budget amp.

"Grados have a frequency response similar to the Sony MDR-V6, so if you like that general sound, you'll probably like what you get out of a Grado. Any of the Grados from the SR-80 (MSRP $95) on up will get you noticably punchier bass, which is a large part of why I prefer my SR-80 to my V6 for almost all music. I'm listening to Pearl Jam's "Go" right now, and it just sounds so much more intense than on the V6."

kerelybonto,
because of your post i am suddenly much more interested in the grados. i am considering the rs-1 for a rock headphone.

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 25
Hey guys, thanks for the replies, of course I knew I would forget something important! Doh!!

Basically, I am running my V6's on my headphone jack on my Klipsch 4.1 speakers on my computer. This is where I plan on running these new headphones as well. I also have a portable CD player, but I have MX500 earbuds that I mostly use for it... but it seems to run the V6 just fine as well.. (Panasonic SL-CT470) They get REALLLY REALLY loud plugged into my speakers. Like it is too loud at 1/4th volume... so it doesen't seem power is an issue. These will be home headphones, they will probably never be taken outside.

Based on the headphone guide at Headphone.com (I think) It seemed like the Beyer 250-80 and DT770 Pros were about what I was looking for, but I am not sure if they offer a noticeable difference between the V6 or not. Does this sound about right? And if I really need to get a amp, that will not be so much an issue either.... but I would have no idea which one to get. Hehe.

kerelybonto, thanks, I will go ahead and try and find a dealer around here that has them, but it seems like it might be difficult. Who knows though, I guess I will have to look a little harder. I was just concerned because I read a lot of complaints on Grados comfort, and my ears are pretty sensative as it is, and they are kind of big
redface.gif

Thanks again for your recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep them coming, please!!!

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 25
IMHO the 250-80 sounds better than the V6, but I'd suggest having a listen first.

The DT770pro needs amplification, the headphone jack on your Klipsch speakers won't be enough (I've tried it with the 770pro) so you'll also need to budget for an amp if you want the 770pro.

The DT531 is another possible choice, it's a great performer for the price, doesn't need heaps of amplification and would sound fairly different (in a good way) to your V6.

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 25
Personally, I'd say to give grados a try. Sr 80s and a CHA47 amp won't cost more that $200(around $175, iirc), and will give you TONS of enjoyment. Go for it!

Sep 21, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Basically, I am running my V6's on my headphone jack on my Klipsch 4.1 speakers on my computer. This is where I plan on running these new headphones as well. I also have a portable CD player, but I have MX500 earbuds that I mostly use for it... but it seems to run the V6 just fine as well.. (Panasonic SL-CT470) They get REALLLY REALLY loud plugged into my speakers. Like it is too loud at 1/4th volume... so it doesen't seem power is an issue. These will be home headphones, they will probably never be taken outside.

a dedicated headphone amp is more about the quality of the amplification, not the quantity. if your panny pcdp has a line out, you could always run a cha47 from that. ditto for your soundcard. i recently asked the experts here the best headphones for rock music and many agreed it was the beyer dt770 + a good amp. sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
a dedicated headphone amp is more about the quality of the amplification, not the quantity. if your panny pcdp has a line out, you could always run a cha47 from that. ditto for your soundcard. i recently asked the experts here the best headphones for rock music and many agreed it was the beyer dt770 + a good amp. sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

My wallet hates you all!
biggrin.gif
Just kidding
wink.gif

So how much is the cha47? Are there any better ones out there? Can I see a website on this amp? Thanks man
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2002 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 25
you definitely sound like a Grado man.

I suggest going for the SR325. That'll buy you some extra time between now, and the next upgrade itch. You can sometimes find it use for around $200, and new, about $300.

Add a CHA47 or Cmoy amp from JMT and you'll be set for awhile, until your next itch.

Total cost: $300-400

Oh, about comfort, the Grado comfort pads are, well, comfy. $15 bucks a pair at headroom.

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 25
Odd... Double post...

Sep 21, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #14 of 25
Hmmm. I'd probably second the Gradoers here... I'm not sure you'll get exactly what you're looking for, but IMHO they're the best general purpose phones for "just listening". Definitely audition them before you buy - the 325 (haven't heard myself) or 225 (see my sig) would probably be your bag, in combination with a good amp. But this would be at the upper end of your budget.

Having said all that, for your kind of music - which I also listen to a lot, and get panned here for my sins - I'd recommend you also take a look at the Technics RP-DJ1200A. While comparatively well behaved - with general sound that's on a par with the Beyerdynamic DT250-80, the bass can go huge without affecting the rest of the sound, unlike the Beyer which descends into unintelligibility. The Technics also needs no additional amplification and folds, so you still have a portable option. Now the bad bits: Both the 250-80 and the RP-DJ1200A however have a slightly closed-in quality to the sound (beyond that usually exhibited by good closed phones), and there is a potential comfort issue on the 1200A, which I might have a problem with for extended home use. Still, give it a try - the 1200A's are widely available.

Rather importantly, I ought to say that I actually have the DT250-80 and the RP-DJ1200A and consider the Technics superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back