Someone shot my Altoids tin.
Jul 20, 2005 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

moeburn

100+ Head-Fier
altoidsshot11xg.jpg

As you can see, I'm not very good at drilling.

I'm using a dremel with the largest bit i have, its not making any progress other than a dimple, so i up the speed, and the thing explodes.

Anyone have any handy drilling tips so I can avoid accidents like these?

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by moeburn
Man I never thought of using a hole puncher, it would be nice if I had the proper sizes though.

The hole punch is 6mm which is usually just right for the jacks and switch. If you need a larger size hole, you use the punch to go around the perimeter.

You should line the surface you are working on with adhesive paper tape anyway to prevent scratches or nicks. You then use a compass to draw the larger size hole and use the punch to punch out the metal within the drawn circle.

There will be small sharp parts of metal which you can file down easily, either with a dremel or a hand file.

Jul 21, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 22
They're expensive, but the ideal tool for drilling holes in thin metal and brittle plastic is a step bit. You can get the same effect by using many bits, starting with 1/8" or so and going up to the final size by 16ths or so.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 22
My dad is a machinist, so i use the milling machine
smily_headphones1.gif

I drill a small pilot hole, since in my experience, the bigger bits have much less sharp of a cutting surface, so it helps clean my cuts up a bit.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #12 of 22
Pre punch the hole to make dent preventing drillbit travel, and then use a very sharp bit, in and out, very quickly. As soon as the bit wobbles it starts chewing the metal.

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 22
Use a punch (eg. icepick) to punch a small hole in the side then drill with your dremel at medium speed widening out the hole slowly till it is the right size. All the while use a wooden block inside the tin to keep the metal from flexing. If you're drilling anything this thin without a step bit you're going to need to block it to keep from tearing out.

I've only done one amp, CMOY, in an Altoids tin, but was a machinist for quite a few years and I almost always needed to block thin stuff.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by moeburn
Ok I found my old hole puncher, but its not very sharp so it is bulging the metal slightly, any other genius tips?

Sigh, that wellknown acronym applies...YMMV.
frown.gif

Well, I did used a new punch, it just cost me $1. Sorry if you didn't find it useful. Anyway, it wasn't my idea, I picked it up from others in this forum and found it really work for me.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
I wonder where that idea came from.
tongue.gif

Filling the tin with water and freezing it works pretty good but the elcheapo paper punch method works much better.

i used to the ice method and it works very well. i drilled with a drill press, so dunno if that matters too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back