Someone like you, Denon AH-D5000?
May 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Hvar1

New Head-Fier
Hi all! I have a pair of Denon AH-D5000 that I´m very happy with, and they have given me several hours of joy. I´m still looking for alternatives though, not to replace my Denons, but because it´s fun to try something new. As I love the sound signature of the Denons, I´m wondering if someone can suggest high(er) end cans with a similar sound, meaning a warm (good bass impact), but yet detailed and rich presentation. So, what headphones can satisfy these "requirments"?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

May 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm a little confused by your post because most people wouldn't consider the Denons "dark" at all--the treble is quite bright, certainly when compared with darker phones like the Sennheiser 650 or the Audez'e LCD-2.

May 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 29
I guess "dark" is not fitting, your absolutely right, and that´s not the way I intended to describe it either. The meaning was to describe a rather bass heavy can, and "dark tonal balance" dosen´t fit, I see that (changing the first post a bit). Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, as I like the Denons, where should I look?

May 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 29
To tell you the truth, I have actually found it difficult to acquire something like the Denon D5000s! I think they are pretty unique in that their highs are pretty great, they deliver great bass and sub-bass and their mids are not really as recessed as their little brother (D2000).

You could probably look into:

Hifiman HE500
Audeze LCD-2 (-3 way more expensive...)
Denon D7000
Fostex TH900
Ultrasone Signature Pros

Good luck on your search.! :wink:

May 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 29
Well, there's always the D7000! I have that and the AH-A100, which offers the Denon house sound in a beautiful and portable format.

I haven't heard as many different phones as a lot of the people around here, but I have yet to find a can that replicates the rumbling, subwoofer-like, yet still controlled bass extension of the D7000. I own the LCD-2, which is supposed to be famous for its bass. The LCD-2's bass is tight, detailed, and powerful, but because it's an open can it doesn't approximate the kind of subterranean rumbling that the D7000 can.

Though I'm a big fan of the D7K, I'm not sure it's different enough from the D5K to justify the upgrade cost, but I've seen used D7Ks sell used $5-$600.

May 24, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 29
Your post is a little confusing.  You don't want to replace the Denons but you're looking for something with a similar sound?

LCD-2 should have as much 'subterranian' bass if not more than than the Denons.  Going off just pure graphs it's the only headphone I've ever seen that has 0 bass rolloff.

May 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 29
That's what the graphs say, but it sure doesn't feel that way in my A/B testing. Just one example: In the Robotaki remix of "Scale it Back" by DJ Shadow and Little Dragon, there's a snare hit at 0:45 followed by these huge, side-chained sine-wave bass and piano chords. The D7000s make those chords throb with bass energy whereas the LCD-2 sounds loud and strong but doesn't really seem to capture the dynamic throb caused by the side-chaining. I'm running the LCD-2 off a Schiit Lyr so power shouldn't be the issue. In any event, I don't think the LCD-2 is is a good upgrade for people who like the Denon sound. 

May 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 29
Really?  D7000 must improve on extension to some degree, although the graphs say otherwise.  My D2000s go anemic after 30hz.  Above 30hz they're powerful and linear but slow decaying.  The bass in that scale it back song didn't seem too too low to me.  Maybe around 40hz.

As far as not liking the LCD-2 if he likes the Denon sound, we really can't be sure.  Some people like as much boomy bass as possible, while others like their bass to be as fast or extending as possible.  

May 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 29
I also meant the LCD-2s recessed highs, which are detailed but aren't quite as bright. I think everybody should give the LCD-2s a fair listen at some point--they're certainly beloved by many--but I hear more resemblance there to the Senn 650s than to anything by Denon.

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
To tell you the truth, I have actually found it difficult to acquire something like the Denon D5000s! I think they are pretty unique in that their highs are pretty great, they deliver great bass and sub-bass and their mids are not really as recessed as their little brother (D2000).

You could probably look into:

Hifiman HE500
Audeze LCD-2 (-3 way more expensive...)
Denon D7000
Fostex TH900
Ultrasone Signature Pros

Good luck on your search.! :wink:

Thanks for the tips everyone! I also do agree on your description on the D5000, gelocks. If my first post was confusing, I do apologize. Anyway, i made a decision to try out the Audeze LCD-2, which I have now ordered from a guy on the forum (not yet received). I would say some of the things I really like with the D5000 is the bass impact combined with a detailed mid and treble, and from what I`ve read about the LCD-2, I think this may be very much to my liking.

The Fostex TH900 looks very promising btw, but the price tag... Oh, the price...  

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 29
I agree... price tag is always a problem!! lol :wink: I acquired some Signature Pros and I like them VERY VERY much and was actually surprised at their neutrality (I really thought they were going to be heavily colored but they are not! Maybe a bit warm...). Still, I kind of miss the highs of the D5000s. I'm going to be comparing them in detail later.

Enjoy your new buy!
And please let us know how you like it! :wink:

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
I agree... price tag is always a problem!! lol :wink: I acquired some Signature Pros and I like them VERY VERY much and was actually surprised at their neutrality (I really thought they were going to be heavily colored but they are not! Maybe a bit warm...). Still, I kind of miss the highs of the D5000s. I'm going to be comparing them in detail later.

Enjoy your new buy!
And please let us know how you like it! :wink:

My "new" LCD-2 rev.1 arrived a little week ago, and to be honest I´m not quite sure about this. I have been doing quite a lot of reading about these cans, both rev. 1, rev. 2 and LCD-3, so I had some thoughts on what to expect. In short: the bass and midrange is absolutely great, and in those terms I feel it´s a nice upgrade from my current Denons, especially on certain kinds of music. The treble tho, feels a bit too reserved and actually a tad too warm in comparison to the Denons, and I do like the level of details on those cans. In a direct comparison this is clearly noticeable, and I feel I miss out some details on the rev. 1. I understand one of the things that has changed on the rev. 2 from the rev. 1 is a less laid back treble, namely exactly what I miss. Some have said the differences are small, but anyway, I miss a bit more sparkly treble on my rev. 1. 

From my newly acquired experience I on the Audeze and my love for the Denon cans I really have started thinking of the Fostex TH900 again. It is the LCD-3 as well of course, but the comfort is also an issue here. My wallet is hating me already... 

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
Wasnt the rev 1 LCD-2 extremely dark?
Did you lose much bass going to the lcd?

Well, yes, the LCD-2 rev.1 is dark, and a bit too dark and colored in my opinion. I can´t comment on the rev. 2 since I have never heard it, but I understand the has been tuned to be not that dark in the sound signature. Point is I think too many details is lost in the treble on the rev. 1.
Loosing bass going from the D5000 (I diden´t sell the Denons by the way, they will stay no matter what kind of new phones comes in)? I really don´t think so, and like i said, in the bass and midrange I found the Audeze to be just great. There is lots of bass impact, and in quality not just quantity, which I really love. It´s the total package I tend to struggle with, and that is, again, due to the lack of details in the treble section. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back