Somebody want to back me up?
Aug 27, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 26
Not sure about sound cards,but i can hear the differences between wavelength brick and apogee mini dac.(flying mole ca-s3-->k1000).in fact,differences are so hugh i bet anyone with normal hearing could tell the differences.

Aug 27, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
003 You should really try and abx because I highly doubt that even with your nice stuff that even you could tell a difference. Foobar resampler with audigy 2 is nice work around but not bit perfect.

Are you talking about the digital out on the Audigy? Because I could quite clearly hear a difference in sound quality between the analog output of the audigy2 an dthe x-fi, and I'm pretty sure they both use the same DACs, but the x-fi does not resample where as the audigy2 does.

I do not see why it would be any different with the digital out, as it is still resampled, among other things.

I don't have the Audigy2, X-fi or AV-710 anymore, and I'm not buying them again.

If somebody would like to send me them for free I would gladly compare them.

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Are you talking about the digital out on the Audigy? Because I could quite clearly hear a difference in sound quality between the analog output of the audigy2 an dthe x-fi, and I'm pretty sure they both use the same DACs, but the x-fi does not resample where as the audigy2 does.

I do not see why it would be any different with the digital out, as it is still resampled, among other things.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it seems like your whole premise is that resampling makes a significant audible difference that anyone should be able to hear. I think this is a bogus premise. I am not asserting that devices that do resampling never cause audible differences, but I don't know how you can automatically equate resampling with audible differences. This seems like a classic case of confusing on-paper differences wth real-world differences.

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 26
If I remember right, it should be possible to have foobar2000 resample your 44.1 stuff to 48 and thus bypass the 2ZS resampler.

So apply the 44.1->48 DSP to a lossless file of yours and attempt to ABX the two apart.

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 26
OT but LOL 003's 97% of Indians are idiots. You did ask for the rascist tag when you said that, 003. I am sure you are not (and I'm an Indian). You may rephrase that to "97% of Indians who answer the support mails are uninformed idiots". Most of the people who work in those telemarketing jobs are college kids with no technical background in the fields they are supposed to provide support for. i.e. a student studying in an engineering school may work as a CSR for a credit card company. The only criteria for working there is that they have a good enough proficiency in spoken English and they are actually coached to speak in an American and/or British accent. I had contemplated working there during my spare time after my Bachleor's when I was submitting application to a grad school here in the US.

Anyway, obviously the guy (EricB) is an idiot. He was the one who initiated the strawmen arguments and ad-hominems. Ignore the dude. It's like the line I read somewhere: "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics; even if you win, you are still dumb." No offence obviously to them. I've always been dumb.

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 26
~lol racism

(I'm Indian)

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 26
Ok yeah I meant the people that pick up the phone, you know what I mean! I have nothing against indians! I am against companies outsourcing cheap labor from people who don't even know what they are talking about.

To the person who said how can I prove that resampling makes a difference?

My answer, is listen to the audigy 2.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 26
Just to clear something up I read in your initial post, yes, even the lowly Audigy 2 supports ASIO. :p

I use the Secret Rabbit Code Resampler plugin in Foobar2000 so it resamples the audio to 48000Hz before it hits the sound card DSP, along with kernel streaming. I think it makes for a noticable improvement.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 26
Hmm if it resamples to 48Khz anyway, how does it improve the sound quality?

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Hmm if it resamples to 48Khz anyway, how does it improve the sound quality?

The SRC Resampler is loads better than the internal crappy one in the Audigy 2. If the incoming data is already 48000Hz, it bypasses the internal Audigy 2 resampler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back