Some thoughts on head-fi as a community at 10,000 posts
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sonic Defender

Headphoneus Supremus
This is my 10,000 post here on head-fi. As I saw that number approaching I couldn't help but feel a personal significance with the arrival of that milestone post so I wanted to mark the occasion with a post about this wonderful community. I have had the pleasure to post here as a member for more than seven years, and I believe that I lurked here for a few years prior to my first post. I really believe that head-fi is a special place on the Internet, I really do. It is interesting, full of passionate people and very diverse which I greatly value. I have had the pleasure of making cyber friends with people around the globe. I have sold gear to people as far away as Israel and Hawaii.

What most strikes me about this community is the overall high standards of respect and decorum that we enjoy here at head-fi. Sure there are flare-ups, the odd flame war and some threads that get locked down, but in the big scheme of things, and given just how many people passionately engage in discussion around these forums, I think the ratio of signal to noise is very high in favour of signal. I wanted to thank everybody who has enjoyed discussions with me and shared their perspectives, even if we haven't always agreed. I have learned so much from others, and I have so much more to learn and I am looking forward to it believe me.

This is a great community, it is a respectful place, a fun place with so many amazing and interesting people here. I wish that I had more time to spend here and I truly enjoy every minute that I do spend on head-fi. So thank you to the community at large, all the long-time members that I have gotten to know, and of course a warm welcome to all of the new and soon to be long-time members here at head-fi.

I also need to say a huge thank you to Jude and the amazing team of administrators and moderators who make this place a reality, thank you for all of the hard work behind the scenes that we don't see. Way back when, I was a moderator for at the time one of the busiest communities on the Internet as it dealt with Search Engine Optimization back when it was almost voodoo and alchemy to have a website do well and be visible on the Internet. I learned then that it isn't always easy to be a moderator and I have always had respect for those who do it, and do it well. I also love that through this community the membership here actually has a voice and collectively we help shape the face of our hobby. The companies that hope to sell us their gear also love the hobby, and they come here and listen to our feedback. It is great to know that while we are talking to each other and sharing our perspectives, we are absolutely shaping what is to come for the hobby.

So that is the end of my 10, 000 post, yes, I meant it to be gushing and glowing because I really think this is a special community and I hope that we can all appreciate the many fantastic people we interact with here on a daily basis. And of course while I have no affiliation with head-fi other than being a member, I have to say thank you to the sponsors and members of the trade who also contribute to head-fi. All part of the fabric. Cheers, see you in the forums everyone.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 6
I see this place as a valuable R&D lab.

Can you imagine the $$$ value of the research?

Every door can be an opportunity to be "BLOWN AWAY"

giphy.gif

:D

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 6
I see this place as a valuable R&D lab.

:D
Absolutely, this is the very best and free R&D out there! Where else do you get your target audience to pay for your products, test them out, tell you what they like and don't like, give new ideas, and all for free!

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 6
I am always impressed by the constant high level of knowledge that is omnipresent on this site, as I have learned so much on the science of this hobby.
If I could only turn lead to gold, I would be able to have it all and I do mean all, bwaa, ha,ha

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 6
10000posts and claims high signal to noise.

The community seems happy because the dissenters get purged.
Not quite sure what you're referring to? My posts, other people's post? I try to make mostly meaningful posts, I'm sure that I don't always succeed, but I am still confident that over-all my posts have not been purely fluff, nor do I find most posts here by others merely fluff. I take it your experience has differed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back