some sports durability and good sound
Mar 25, 2006 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sayrum

100+ Head-Fier
hi everyone,
i am glade to have found this site.
finally some decent info, not just sales rap...
i need help deciding on my first portable player.
mainly intended for sports (gym/jogging/biking)
listening to electro, world music and some classical

needs:
1-2 gb
fm radio
good sound
small
easy controls (in pocket use...)

prefer:
changeable batteries
comes with decent headphons (or good value suggestion from u peeps)

so far i have thought about:
iaudio5 (fiddly controlls i've heard)
iaudiio g3 (bit bulky + joystick also fiddly in pocket)
creative muvo or zen nano plus; (problems with crackle pop etc+back light buzz ?)
Sandisk Sansa c150 2GB

mmh, what to do?

am thankful for any info helping me decide........

daniel

eggosmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Maybe the Sony NW-E507? Seems to meet all of your needs and thought it doesn't have changable battery, one charge should last you around 30~40 hours.

NWE507.jpg

I'm not sure if the Creatie Muvo slim comes in 1 gig (EDIT: yes it does) but I have the 256mb version for I'll say well over an year and it's slim size (thickness of about 3~4 credit cards stacked and about the same width and length) fits really well in a pocket and buttons are located on thin edge and can be easily access in the pocket. I usually just operate it from outside my pocket through the cloth without have to reach into my pocket...

40423.jpg

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 11
For one thing I thik you have to knock "comes with decent headphones" of your criteria. That's the tail wagging the dog. You cant buy a $200 Walkman based on $3 headphones, most of which suck.

I'd say the iAudio U3 would fit your criteria best. Only catch being that it is rechargible - but very long life. I have never run mine down in 3 months of owning it so far.

And it does come with decent earbuds - but that isn't the point. In any case the player can power even better headphones like a pair of Ety Er-6i, so I'd recommend that with it.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 11
i have the muvo nx and it sounds pretty good with my sennheiser mx500s ($10-15 at amazon), the muvo doesn't sound as good as my ipod shuffle though which has much more powerful amplification that is lacking on the muvo, more crisp and clear sounds, and very tight strong bass, the shuffle has a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery that goes for about 12-14 hours that charges from usb, koss ksc headphones are good and cheap, i'll be picking up the ksc75 ($15-20) soon based on recommendations from the good folks here

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 11
wow,
thanks for ur responses!
i am hoping for a player with decent headphons, but not a must. was thinking of the sennheiser p(m)x100 as an alternative...
(but do they work while jogging, or will they fall of my head?)
and do the akg k27i sound so much better?

was also looking at the koss75, will they stay on while jogging...?
Etys i would love to try! but way out of my range...
frown.gif
frown.gif

iaudio u3 is nice, but has built in battery (how to replace...) and is a bit above my price range
frown.gif

(iaudio5 cost here around 150€, u3 200€)

the sony nw-e507 looks nice, but forces one to use that damn software...
no drag+drop
mad.gif
and also built in battery...

so i guess still between ia5, creative zen nano plus(which is 50€ cheaper then the ia5) and the Sandisk Sansa c150 2GB(same price as the ia5 and double the gb...)

anybody have an opinion towards the sansa<->ia5<->zen nano plus?
daniel
eggosmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 11
One or two things I can add:

- The PX100's won't fall of your head, I can run with them just fine.
- The Sony player doesn't HAVE to use the horrible SonicStage. There's a simple drag and drop program released by Sony that works much better.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 11
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
- The Sony player doesn't HAVE to use the horrible SonicStage. There's a simple drag and drop program released by Sony that works much better.

in many places i read about the difficult, slow and restrictive loading of sonys players...
so cjattwood says something about a sony released drag+drop prog...
any further info on that? does it still change/convert my mp3s into something else? (read that is damn timeconsuming..)
and what about that difficulty concerning copyright???

mmh, seems lots of stumbling blocks with the sony...
mad.gif

it looks neat though and is small..

ok, so the px100 are staying on while jogging, great
orphsmile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 11
http://www.css.ap.sony.com/consumer/...Personal+Audio

There's the link for the program. Note that it says it only works on those specified models, but I use it quite comfortably on my NW-HD3. All you do is open the program, and then drag the folder(s) containing the music files you want transferred into the program window and then it'll transfer them. The files are left alone, so they aren't changed into ATRAC or anything. The program shows how much space is left for use on the player, along with what albums are on there, and the program can also delete selected albums or all albums if you wish. I'd post some screenies but my HD3 is in repair at the moment, the headphone socket connection has come loose after too many rapid drops you see... If you have any other questions, please ask. And also, that specific Sony model is excellent, my dad has one and it's a great little device.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 11
thanx for the link Cjattwood!
now i'm looking at the NW-E507(1gb), nw-407(also 1gb)and the nw-e608(2GB + same size!)
is there any difference between the 407 and 507? (here in germany the 407 is a bit cheaper...)
am loving the 2gb one though, but i found this:

http://forevergeek.com/news/sony_con...ts_walkman.php

sony confirming problems with the drag+drop prog with the e608 player
eek.gif

****!
anybody have an opinion on that?
it's from beginning of february, so preety recent..
confused.gif

only found one review on the Sandisk Sansa c150 2GB so far, anybody know more (how's sq + durability...)?
maybe a comparision soundwise

still diggin and finding more interesting players, does it ever stop?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 11
CONNECT player isn't the drag+drop program, it's this new program that Sony came out with, that in an ironic turn of events, is actually much, much worse than Sonicstage. The drag+drop program SHOULD work fine, but obviously I have no actual experience as I only own the NW-HD3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back