Some setup advice or recommendations wanted!
post-9101576
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 7

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
172
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Posts
172
Likes
15
Hi Head-Fi :)
 
First I would like to thank you all for your advice and knowledge. This website has helped me make excellent and comfortable decisions.
 
After plenty of research I have concluded that I wish to purchase a pair of dt 770 pro 250 ohm cans. I plan on pairing them with a fiio e11. This will be my first dive into the hi-fi world, and I hope it is going to be great! Are there any suggestions or changes all of you pros advise I do with these 2 products? Are they well matched? (I generally assume so. I have done much research) I want the amp to be portable for I do not plan on using the headphones with my computer, even when on it. I am unsure what to do when it comes to a source. I bought a 5th gen iPod touch out of stupidity (no analog output). I was wondering what has the better dac; 4th gen touch or gs3? I have both available for use. Also, is the e11 capable of driving these 250 ohm cans to sufficient levels without distortion? I also plan on using a pair of Bose ie2s occasionally on the go. However I do not believe any iems require an amp, but since I will have an amp available will the iems benefit from the amp? My biggest question of all is will the e11 overpower the bass on these products. I understand the e11 offers bass boost, however I also understand the 770s offer plenty. I enjoy bass but do not want bloated overpowering thumping.
 
Thanks Head-Fi!
 
     Share This Post       
post-9105418
Post #2 of 7

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
172
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Posts
172
Likes
15
Bump. I have actually decided the 80 ohm version of the dt 770 pro may be a smarter choice.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9105477
Post #3 of 7

adamlr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
46
Joined
Aug 12, 2012
Posts
1,007
Likes
46
e11 should do nicely, it does for me. and the 250 ohm ones aren't nearly as bassy as some people make them out to be, i know i eq the bass up by a considerable amount when using mine. the 80 ohm version is said to be bassyer, but i wouldn't know. 
 
whether or not iems would benefit from an external amp? not sure, i think most headphones will, but hey, seeing as you're already going to get one, why not plug them in and see for yourself? 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9105512
Post #4 of 7

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
712
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
712
Quote:
Hi Head-Fi :)
 
First I would like to thank you all for your advice and knowledge. This website has helped me make excellent and comfortable decisions.
 
After plenty of research I have concluded that I wish to purchase a pair of dt 770 pro 250 ohm cans. I plan on pairing them with a fiio e11. This will be my first dive into the hi-fi world, and I hope it is going to be great! Are there any suggestions or changes all of you pros advise I do with these 2 products? Are they well matched? (I generally assume so. I have done much research) I want the amp to be portable for I do not plan on using the headphones with my computer, even when on it. I am unsure what to do when it comes to a source. I bought a 5th gen iPod touch out of stupidity (no analog output). I was wondering what has the better dac; 4th gen touch or gs3? I have both available for use. Also, is the e11 capable of driving these 250 ohm cans to sufficient levels without distortion? I also plan on using a pair of Bose ie2s occasionally on the go. However I do not believe any iems require an amp, but since I will have an amp available will the iems benefit from the amp? My biggest question of all is will the e11 overpower the bass on these products. I understand the e11 offers bass boost, however I also understand the 770s offer plenty. I enjoy bass but do not want bloated overpowering thumping.
 
Thanks Head-Fi!
 
Quote:
Bump. I have actually decided the 80 ohm version of the dt 770 pro may be a smarter choice.
 
Heya,
 
The 80ohm & 250ohm with the Fiio E11 is fine. It can power both no problem. i-Device DACs are decent, I wouldn't stress on which is better. The biggest factor of your quality is going to be source music quality, then headphone, then amplifier, with DAC being the last and least of your concern in that chain. Based on your descriptions, I think the 250ohm with the E11 would be best for you over-all, and use it from any source you want and just try things and see what you think.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-9106322
Post #5 of 7

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
172
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Posts
172
Likes
15
Quote:
 
 
Heya,
 
The 80ohm & 250ohm with the Fiio E11 is fine. It can power both no problem. i-Device DACs are decent, I wouldn't stress on which is better. The biggest factor of your quality is going to be source music quality, then headphone, then amplifier, with DAC being the last and least of your concern in that chain. Based on your descriptions, I think the 250ohm with the E11 would be best for you over-all, and use it from any source you want and just try things and see what you think.
 
Very best,
Does the fiio e7 have a decent enough amp to power the 250 ohms properly? I am looking into these for it would be nice to pair them with my laptop, also I can use it while charging.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9106471
Post #6 of 7

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,000
Reaction score
712
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Posts
7,000
Likes
712
Quote:
Does the fiio e7 have a decent enough amp to power the 250 ohms properly? I am looking into these for it would be nice to pair them with my laptop, also I can use it while charging.
 
Heya,
 
The old E7 isn't as good with power output; it will make volume but it won't be superb. If you want a portable USB desktop DAC/AMP for laptop and use while portable maybe consider the newer E07k or the E17.
 
Very best,
 
     Share This Post       
post-9107702
Post #7 of 7

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Messages
172
Reaction score
15
Joined
Jan 27, 2013
Posts
172
Likes
15
Quote:
 
Heya,
 
The old E7 isn't as good with power output; it will make volume but it won't be superb. If you want a portable USB desktop DAC/AMP for laptop and use while portable maybe consider the newer E07k or the E17.
 
Very best,
Thanks! However I think I'll remain with the e11 for I can not obtain a e07k or even e17 in Canada, unfortunately. Maybe I'll simply purchase a desktop amp if I feel the need to do so. However, until then, I cannot wait to have some new headphones!
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top