Some Scientific Data on Isolation, Power, and Cables
Feb 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #46 of 97
I went to the "Test Cases" page of the Acuity website, and nowhere does it indicate that this is a preview of more to come. It appears that this is it, in which case it's completely meaningless.

I remember hearing a while ago about Nordost trying to devise some sort of standard test to show that there are audible differences between cables. If this represents their best effort (and I hope that it doesn't) then they may as well just admit that their products are nothing more than jewelery.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #47 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to the "Test Cases" page of the Acuity website, and nowhere does it indicate that this is a preview of more to come. It appears that this is it, in which case it's completely meaningless.

I remember hearing a while ago about Nordost trying to devise some sort of standard test to show that there are audible differences between cables. If this represents their best effort (and I hope that it doesn't) then they may as well just admit that their products are nothing more than jewelery.

The Nordost-Vertex-Acuity team said it was only a preview at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. They told the audience that more details would be forthcoming but they were still conducting the tests. They were excited about the results so they decided to do a preview according to Roy Gregory.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is 1 million dollars currently on offer for anyone who can prove that cables in audio make a difference. Can't remember the guy who set it, he sets a lto of these sorts of challenges though.

It was the Amazing Randi. He controls the purse however so his isn't exactly a fair test. Get a third party escrow on that million and get back to me.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nordost-Vertex-Acuity team...

Team?

I thought Acuity was supposed to be independent?

That's what it says on their website.

Acuity Products is a newly formed company providing innovative systems for the independent measurement and assessment of high performance acoustic and low noise electronic systems.

If you're out doing dog and pony shows for your clients, you're not independent. You're just a shill.

se

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #50 of 97
What a thoroughly awful and depressing thread this has been.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #51 of 97
Quote:

The Nordost-Vertex-Acuity team said it was only a preview at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. They told the audience that more details would be forthcoming but they were still conducting the tests. They were excited about the results so they decided to do a preview according to Roy Gregory.

Curious, isn't it?

This reminds me so much of the "testing" Virtual Dynamics promised some time back. They made a Big Noise about proving their products with a research team at a university. Some months after they promised to deliver, a bunch of sketchy and inconclusive results were released, much like these. They promised more results, but they disappeared before showing us why charging $300 for Romex in a garden hose made things sound better.

TwoTrack, a truly open mind would also consider the possibility that you've been had by a snakeoil salesman.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Nordost engaged a team of UK defense contractors with deep radar/communication experience named Acuity Products along with power supply and isolation maker Vertex AQ to create a scientific basis for audio gear isolation, power improvements and better cable. What separates this study is the use of high quality test gear and an interesting look at sound quality by looking at changes in distortion during replay under various conditions which are essentially these audio tweaks being applied.

Acuity has recently published some results that I thought many here would find interesting:

http://www.acuityproducts.co.uk/Case...-%20Vertex.pdf

I thought Acuity were defense contractors?

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #53 of 97
^ I guess they recently changed their business :

4343583669_a629365053_o.png

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #54 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team?

I thought Acuity was supposed to be independent?

That's what it says on their website.

Acuity Products is a newly formed company providing innovative systems for the independent measurement and assessment of high performance acoustic and low noise electronic systems.

If you're out doing dog and pony shows for your clients, you're not independent. You're just a shill.

se

Only Nordost's executive team (Roy Gregory, Lars and their CEO who I don't know) and Steve Elford from Vertex were there. They just presented Acuity's results.

I think you are really making a lot of stretch attempts to slander Acuity simply because they are working with people in the business. This is neither evidence for nor against any bias on their part. It would be the same if they were 100% independent which I believe they are based on the methodology described at RMAF.

If it's a fraud then its a very, very elaborate one.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #55 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious, isn't it?

This reminds me so much of the "testing" Virtual Dynamics promised some time back. They made a Big Noise about proving their products with a research team at a university. Some months after they promised to deliver, a bunch of sketchy and inconclusive results were released, much like these. They promised more results, but they disappeared before showing us why charging $300 for Romex in a garden hose made things sound better.

TwoTrack, a truly open mind would also consider the possibility that you've been had by a snakeoil salesman.

It's a possibility but I think a very, very slim one. Why don't we wait and see how well their methodology and results measure up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I guess they recently changed their business :

Yes, they went independent. I'm told they still work on SNR defense projects. Admittedly their website skills are lacking. May be DIY to save money as a new company.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #56 of 97
Wow, TwoTrack I'm just as 'open minded' as you are but after seeing their site...
redface.gif

They're making it very hard to swallow any of it, wouldn't you agree?

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slash47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, TwoTrack I'm just as 'open minded' as you are but after seeing their site...
redface.gif

They're making it very hard to swallow any of it, wouldn't you agree?

So since they can't make a good website, decades of experience in signal to noise research and engineering must be poor?

I don't see the link.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #58 of 97
There isn't much to read about the company on its website which makes it rather shady.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #59 of 97
Quote:

So since they can't make a good website, decades of experience in signal to noise research and engineering must be poor?

I don't see the link.

The link is if they were serious about their work and were truly professional, then they'd take the time to make a professional website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back