Some retro looking cans please...
Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

qqg3

New Head-Fier
So i'm on the hunt for something not overly expensive, max budget say $100, sound quality not a super-duper priority but I don't want pure tosh (however I've never owned anything high-end so I'm less likely to be disapointed!)

Love the style of these:

Urban Outfitters - Urbanears Plattan Headphones

and some of those WESC bongo cans.

I just wonder if theres something out there in this sort of style but maybe somewhat "older" so I could perhaps get it a little cheaper!
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

EDIT: Will be listening a variety of music, plenty of Indie rock and some piano solos; very little club/dance tunes.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qqg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i'm on the hunt for something not overly expensive, max budget say $100, sound quality not a super-duper priority but I don't want pure tosh (however I've never owned anything high-end so I'm less likely to be disapointed!)

Love the style of these:

Urban Outfitters - Urbanears Plattan Headphones

and some of those WESC bongo cans.

I just wonder if theres something out there in this sort of style but maybe somewhat "older" so I could perhaps get it a little cheaper!
wink_face.gif

Thanks.

EDIT: Will be listening a variety of music, plenty of Indie rock and some piano solos; very little club/dance tunes.

Go with Grados because I've listened to those Urbanears and they sound horrible.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 21
If I was after a retro-looking headphone, I would definitely get the Koss Pro-4AA.

I have no idea how good they sound (though I've heard mostly positive things), but darn those things look awesomely retro.

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was after a retro-looking headphone, I would definitely get the Koss Pro-4AA.

I have no idea how good they sound (though I've heard mostly positive things), but darn those things look awesomely retro.

I have a pair of these and while they do indeed look retro I couldn't say much else good about them. The things are tanks and get uncomfortable very fast just from their weight and the shallow rubber pads which rest akwardly on/around my ears. Just putting them on right now I can say the sound isn't terrible, but not something I'd recommend at that pricepoint. All the music feels very recessed, and while the bass is decent it still suffers from the same effect. I hear that the actual vintage ones are much better, so if you can get your hands on the ones from the 70's it will probably be cheaper and more rewarding. Otherwise just go with Grado sr60's and you'll be much happier; don't make my mistake kids!

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 21
Those panasonics that urban has listed look really good in person when worn, you can find them much cheaper on amazon
Urban Outfitters - Pan RP HTX7E Headphones - Cream

audio-technica has some nice looking cans too (that also generally sound very good)

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 21
I don't own them, but the Grado's to me look the most vintage.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #13 of 21
Grados are open headphones, so if you were going to be wearing them out in public(streets,bus, etc.), you'll be able to hear EVERYTHING. Keep that in mind, im not certain of the other headphones construction, but this is a very important factor to consider.

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why do we care about how the headphones look?

because some people wear headphones outside.

why do people care how clothes look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back