Some recommendations for Operas/Baroque/Piano Pieces
Aug 22, 2017 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of expanding my music library. I'm coming from a heavy rock to black metal background. I've always been interested in classical music though, but never got into it. I'm having a hard time knowing what to look for.

I'm a big fan of Wagner. I'm currently accumulating all the Operas he did. I also have most of Bach done. I really like the "Brandenburgische Konzerte". Also many of the solo piano pieces are to my taste. Though not "old" classic, i really enjoy listening to Ludvico Einaudi.

What are the "basics" when talking Opera? What should i look for? Any composers you'd recommend i have a look at? I know i only scrached the surface and went straight to the "mainstream", so getting more into the "meat" of it is what i want.
Also, i know that in classical recordings the specific performer and recording are important. I currently don't care that much for the quality of the recording. It's nice if it's good, but i'm more about the content atm.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 6
So, my latest trip to the library brought some of the basic operas home. Basically, i googled for "the best operas of all time" or such, grabbed a list and looked at what they had.
- La Bohéme
- Turandot
- l'Orfeo
- Gulio Caesar
- Don Giovanni
- Le Nozze di Figaro

I also brought home a compilation of Prokofiew Simphonies. I'm still struggeling with the Italian Singing. Since most of Wagners Operas are in German, they are much easier to follow for me. I might need to get a translation to follow along with the story. I haven't had to much time to listen to them yet, so i can't say which ones i like yet.

I'm now looking for Brecht's threepenny opera as we've played this back in the day with our schools Orchestra. Also Carmen and the Valkyrie are on the list.
I'd still be happy for some recommendations for Solo Piano Pieces.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 6
There is of course the immortal classic Carmen, by Bizet. I find it to be emotionally and sonically rich, and a highly enjoyable experience overall, many 'wow' moments that make obvious the reason for its fame.

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 6
If you like Wagner, go for Richard Strauss' operas. Salome, Elektra, Der Rosekavalier, Ariadne auf Naxos.

Also Puccini : La Bohème, Tosca, Madama Butterfly, Turandot...

Verdi: La Traviata, Otello, Falstaff and many others...

Mozart's 'big three' are Don Giovanni, Le nozze di Figaro and Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute).

For translations, Google '(opera name) libretto in English' and you will usually be able to find them. Some may be harder to find than others because the translation may still be under copyright.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 6
I’m currently enjoying Solti and the Vienna Philharmonic’s verson of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung, with Birgit Nilsson. If you don’t have Tidal, I highly recommend it as a way to sample various artists and recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back