Some questions for a beginner
Sep 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AbdoFawzy

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

First, I Follow up This Forum From time to time with interest ... and i Learn alot :)

And I Have somethings to ask about..

I have Sony MDR-EX38....and It makes me satisfied...Despite of some pain in my ears :frowning2:

Now I want to buy an audiophile Headphone, i will not change it for 5 years at least .. My Budget is about 250~300$ for the headphone, and i will not use an amp

I will use it for Heavy Metal and some country :)

I think Senn HD598 is good... But i read it has Weak Bass and it may be not good with heavy metal

I want to ask if there is any better Headphone out there .. and if any one try it give me the feedback

that was my first question :)
_____

And what about Senn HD600 For Heavy metal too ? with no amp or by using Fiio E7 ? - I know it's over my budget - :D

Is the difference in the price equivalent to the difference in sound quality between the two headphones?

the Amp...will it make a noticeable Difference ?...For HD 600 Or HD598 ?

thanks in advance

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 11
If I recall correctly the HD600 has less bass than the 598 - both of them didn't sound like heavy metal headphones to me - they're very laid back generally. The 'Sennheiser sound' is generally quite laid back, perfect for easy listening for hours on end, but not so good for super exciting fast music. This is subjective as others love the 'easy listening' aspect of these phones for metal etc, but I prefer 'energy' at the expense of increased listening fatigue, like the sound from Grado headphones (SR225i for example) 
I find a good middle-ground between the two is the AKG sound which generally has a lot of energy but can be heard for longer sessions. The K240 II and K701, K702 and Q701 spring to mind as good 'all-round' headphones. Although the HD600 also falls into this category. That said, most of these headphones would benefit greatly from amplification apart from the Grados and maybe the K240.

Can't comment on the price difference between the two Sennheisers.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 11
thanks Greq,

Based on your opinion, I think AKG Q701 is the best one, because its price is the closest to my budget and after reading some reviews I think the difference betwwen Q701 and the others is very Slight...

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 11
What kind of sound do you like?

Do you like the soundstage to be big?
Do you like a ton of bass?
Do you like a forward vocal presentation?
Do you like bright highs?

Just so you know, a lot of metalheads gravitate toward Grados b/c of its guitar presentation.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 11
thanks eargasmo :)
What kind of sound do you like?

Heavy metal, hard and classic rock and some country.

Do you like the soundstage to be big?

Doesn't matter, The surrounding environment is fairly quiet.

Do you like a ton of bass?

I want some deep bass for heavy metal, but not too much that overcome the sound :)
and I can give it some boost using the amp or the sound card.

Do you like a forward vocal presentation?

Sure :)

Do you like bright highs?

OK, but not too much treble, it's my main problem with the current Earphone. :)

Just so you know, a lot of metalheads gravitate toward Grados b/c of its guitar presentation.

i'm not a metalhead although i like heavy metal.

I think the AKG Q701 is good for me, am i right ?

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Q701s for heavy metal, no. It doesn't really benefit from the perceived clarity and speed that comes with the leaner sound. Heavy metal needs some more authority and sweeter mids for those guitar shreds. For the rest of your genres, they'll work, but probably not that ideal. You'll need something more aggressive. D2000s have some really deep bass, are powered relatively easily, but not sure if the mids would suit your music. Grados would probably be a solid choice as well. They have those forward and nicely colored midrange, some don't like the treble presentation. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Q701s for heavy metal, no. It doesn't really benefit from the perceived clarity and speed that comes with the leaner sound. Heavy metal needs some more authority and sweeter mids for those guitar shreds. For the rest of your genres, they'll work, but probably not that ideal. You'll need something more aggressive. D2000s have some really deep bass, are powered relatively easily, but not sure if the mids would suit your music. Grados would probably be a solid choice as well. They have those forward and nicely colored midrange, some don't like the treble presentation. 

I would avoid the D2000 - the treble can be more harsh/shrill than some Grados.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Heavy metal meathead reporting in...
On a serious note...

While the Q701 is arguably the best headphone in your budget, it isn't really worth it without a good amplifier.

I also beg to differ on saying heavy metal needs a lot of bass, I actually think it's the mids which are far more important.

Anyway, if you really don't want to get an amp I'd say the 598 is your best bet, though I'm also wondering which source you're playing your music from?

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all your responses guys :)

@ Kazaakas

If I bought the Q701 or Senn HD598 I will buy the Fiio E7 too or E11 -not sure yet- 

and I'll use the headphone on my Sound card :Asus Xonar D2X

and sometimes on my mobile phone

_____

Please guys put in mind that my maximum budget is 300$ for the Headphone and amp :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Given your tastes i'd consider seriously Ultrasone. The HD598's do fine with soft rock and such kind of music, i've found that they lack the aggressiveness and speed that Ultrasone gives. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back