some questions about beyerdynamic Hoffenheim in 1990s
May 12, 2022 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

New Head-Fier
I'm a Chinese and I owned a pair of DT901 second hand. In very good condition and I loved them so much.

There's a group of Head-Fiers in China who love old productions from German & Austrian very much. There's a story about Beyerdynamic's factory in Hoffenheim, at the years about 1994-1997, during the new-line DTxx1s (250Ω drivers) were making. It's mainly about a fire happened in Hoffenheim.

The man's ID who told this story in Chinese headphone forums is called vineland. It's originally posted in 2015. If you can read Chinese, here it is: http://www.headphoneclub.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=299195

He said that someone from beyerdymic told him this piece of history. DT801/DT811/DT901/DT911 were used to designed to be the flagships in 1994 and they were made in a new factory at Hoffenheim. But this building were totally destroyed in a fire. That made Beyer stopped these models and made DT831/DT931 instead in another place.

I've searched for several years about that fire. But there's totally no record or about it in English. Also I asked a friend who worked in Berlin to google it in Germany and there's no result either.

It's totally a mystery for me now. In Beyer's official history there's little info about there old models in 1970-1990s. Why Myself feel this story suspicious was it's only told in Chinese. And I cannot find anything about it in other places such as reddit or head-fi.

So anything can proof or disproof it would be nice.

If someone know about the accident, or other version of the history about why they stopped amazing models like DT911/DT901, please kindly tell me. thx.

May 21, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 2
anyone knows anything about those models would be nice. I and several fans are making a podcast about audio equipments in china called "sonic pilots".
we wanna make a series of episodes about the old and untold stories in 1990s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back