some questions about amp and cans "burn in"
Dec 12, 2007 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iamnoone

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I spent a few months on these headfi forum's about a year and a half ago looking for some IEMs. I've learned quite a bit and decided on a pair of Shure e4c's. After that purchase, I did what was best for my wallet and quit coming here cold turkey. But I couldn't help but come back. Amazing I lasted this long.
smily_headphones1.gif

I decided to get myself a pair of Grado SR60's. Please don't laugh at me, I'm fiscally challenged. That said, I'm looking to put myself further down the hole with the purchase of an amp. Thanks to skylab's and mrarroyo's reviews, I've narrowed my choices to a lackerton or minibox. But what do I know eh? So, I thought I'd toss out my source and listening preferences to see if some kind soul could steer me in another direction in the event I'm not already headed that way. Will an amp really improve on my Grado's?

I've read in the amp reviews all the reviewers were "burning in" the amps before reviewing them. What does this do to the amp? How does the sound change from the new in box state to the burned in state? Does this apply to headphones as well? Should my Grado's be burned in? If so for how long?

Also, I plan on getting a pair of Senn HD595's or Beyer DT880's in the future.

And lastly, I am kind of kicking myself in the arse for not spending the extra 30$ in getting the SR90's. Are they worth it?

Thanks a lot for you guys' time.

I thank you but my wallet hates you all
smily_headphones1.gif

Oops, forgot some important details.

Here's are my source and listening habits.

Ipod 5th Gen
Computer, VIA Envy Audio

Music Genres: Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel), JPOP (Do as infinity, Ayumi Hamasaki), Heavy Metal (Pre Black Album Metallica, Pantera)

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

That said, I'm looking to put myself further down the hole with the purchase of an amp.

That's the spirit!

For the amps, burn-in is mostly to get the electrolytic capacitors working their best (other SS parts may burn in, too, but they shouldn't take long at all). Electrolytic caps change their characteristics significantly with use, getting better as used more, worse when not used. Muscles are a good analogy.

With an amp, especially with the low power of headphones, you're listening as much to the power supply as the source output, opamps, and buffers (if any). So, those big power caps are meaningful to your audio signal.

It's certainly possible that burn-in of this kind can result in negative effects on the sound. Lurk in DIY long enough, and you'll find this happening every now and then.

Until I built a few CMoy-alike amps, I was a disbeliever in amp burn-in. Now, I know it's real, and am a believer in letting others build amps for me
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Heh, I wouldn't think of building my own amp.

me + soldering iron = hilarity (or quite possibly serious injury)

I am a disgrace to Asians everywhere
biggrin.gif

I should be able to make a VCR out of a toaster right?

I think I will troll a bit in DIY to see if I can put something together for a few bucks... or die trying.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 5
You might save money in the long run, but in the short run, you'll seriously lose it, going DIY. It's much more for wanting to try to build and modify than saving money, except in some very rare cases (simple capacitor replacements to improve retail parts, FI).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back