Some problems with the 0404 (static noise and resampling problem)
May 28, 2005 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eric1285

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I got my E-MU 0404 a couple weeks ago. It's hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR501 and then to my Klipsch RB-35's. I've also got a strip setup such that the soundstorm output on my computer goes back into the E-MU.

Now, the first problem I have is that I occaisionally get static noise through the E-MU. Just a few blips here and there, although it's pretty annoying. I can see the blips on the PatchMix program, so it has to be an internal problem with the card or something in my computer, and not something with the wiring/speakers/receiver. I get this regardless of what kind of setup I'm running in PatchMix (which to be honest, I have no idea how to use, I just used a bunch of settings someone posted here and it sounds good to me).

The second problem is that when I have it setup for 96khz resampling, mp3's played through fubar sound fine (since I have that configured with ASIO whatnot). However, when I play movies and other stuff through WMP, the card also outputs this really high pitched whining every couple of seconds.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix these problems. I'm fairly happy with my E-MU. I haven't noticed a ton of difference between it and the Soundstorm digital output I was using before though. I got a deal on the E-MU though, and I may try to mod it in the future. For now, as long as I can get it to work, I will be content.

May 28, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Move it to a different PCI slot.

May 28, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Try this - it fixes problems with sound cards exhibiting strange behaviour:
1. Go to Device Manager
2. Double click 'Computer' and then double click 'Uniprocessor' to view properties. Choose update driver - don't search just select it yourself.
4. Change the setting to 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC'.
5. Restart windows.

This is a recommendation on the creative site and fixes numerous issues. When I had my SB Live it stopped it from stuttering. By default windows uses virtual IRQs above 15, which causes problems for some cards. Changing this setting will use actual IRQs.

To view the effect of the change run msinfo32.exe and go to Hardware Resources>IRQs.

May 28, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 6
It be noted that disabling APIC mode should mainly fix things on nForce2 boards. Before doing that, however, I'd try a BIOS update first.
(BTW: The old Live! had so many crackling and stability issues, it isn't even funny. Multi-processor guys fought with Creative drivers for ages. [These cards tend to work a lot better in Linux...] Supporting this trend, VIA came up with cheapsets claiming to support bus parking while actually not doing so, which is a bad thing if a device tries to use it.)

May 29, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Hm, I've gotten the hissing/static to stop by doing what was suggested above. I haven't changed PCI slots though. I do have an nForce2 board and I'm running a fairly recent BIOS, so I doubt that's it. I still get the whining when trying to upsample to 96khz outside of foobar though.

May 29, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Glad to hear. Oh, no need to resample by the way - just use ASIO output straight to the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back