Some pics of sexy vintage CD players
Nov 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #31 of 46
first posting ever to this forum...........have started a collection of pcdp's mostly from ebay before they all disappear from view, well the decent ones anyway.
the problem is knowing when to stop!........this is a contagion. Sites like this should be held to account for encouraging the weak of will and promoting audiophile lifestyles 
wink.gif

these vintage CD players routed through a outboard DAC (Fiio) +Grado SR80 expose limitations of AAC files played through an ipod Touch which are more than adequate for
outdoors.........will post my collection for those interested soon. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #32 of 46
^ Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet. I've been down that same route when I first joined. It was my quest for a Sony D-E905 that led me here. Little did I know that the D-E905 would be first of many vintage pcdps that I would acquire. Now that I've stopped buying vintage pcdps, I look back and admire the sound of my purchases which consists of vintage pcpds from Sony, Aiwa, Denon, Philips, and Technics to name a few. Have fun and happy listening.

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #34 of 46
Its amazing how soon these gadgets became "vintage"....sshh...am I getting old or the tech is evolving too fast....?

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #38 of 46
I have a pioneer xrp560f 25 disc cd player it cd not reading its laser head is cmks 81x, do u have any idea about this set  pls respond me.looking forward for ypour replay 

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #42 of 46
I used one just like this all through high school and college. Still have it, probably buried at the bottom of my closet or in the storage unit somewhere.

Thing was tough. It lived in my truck for about four years and rarely got taken out. That's Louisiana heat, too. It was also the only portable cd player I could find at the time where the skip protection worked well enough to keep the music on a lot of rough roads.

For some reason, music in the car has never sounded as good as it did then, on a Walkman through a cheap cassette adaptor to a Kenwood tape deck connected to a set of 10-dollar Kmart speakers, flying down some country road with some Van Halen blasting, my dog hanging out the passenger window and a tallboy High Life in my hand. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #43 of 46
I want to breath some life to this old thread in case if there's still someone who likes portable cd players. I have many I've purchased from ebay, and there's coolest ones.

04093127.JPG
Sony Car Discman D-800K. Not one of full metal legends, but really good sounding and awesome looking
player with fully illuminated front, even the cd tray has it's own light bulb to see disk spinning in the dark.

04093136.JPG
Sony Discman D-321. Really nice metal lid, backlight and one of earliest esp players Sony made. Great looking player.
I purchased this from ebay as broken unit, but it turned out to be broken only of it's laser pick-up part.
I replaced broken part with part of other discmans pick-up, and got fully working unit. I used it a quite long time,
but unfortunately it started to have reading problems in late 2016. It probably would require a vast capacitor replacing repair.

04093131.JPG
Technics SL-XP700. Very sleek and mostly metal case beast. My most recent purchase I got cheap from ebay.
It was sold as for parts, and plastic part was indeed quite severely broken. I still managed to fix it quite well,
and once case could hold together, I found out that it's fully working unit afterall. I'm very pleased! Sounds really good.

04093137.JPG
Technics SL-XP1. My second portable cd player ever, my most modded one, the gateway drug into vintage cd players, and it's still very well working.
I diy made backlights with switch on the back to turn it off, and even placed led into cd tray so I could see disc spinning in the dark
(I was kinda addicted seeing cd spin back in day haha). It's decent sounding, not the best one, but surely most trusty one.

04093157.JPG
Sony Walkman D-EJ1000. Not vintage cd player, and not a too good sounding either but it sure is elegant.
Incredibly thin and light, awesome remote, super long battery life.
But sound is seriously quite poor from headphone out, that it hasn't got much of usage. Line-out is pretty decent though.

Age of portable cd player is pretty much dead, new players that are still available seem to be pretty generic, and I haven't bothered to purchase one. Though I wonder how thin, compact and yet good sounding unit could be produced with today's technology if some company would make a serious effort.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back