Some pics of sexy vintage CD players
Oct 16, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 46
Do you just want portables in this thread?

Those are pretty cool - I especially like the Philips player that's squares on squares.

But how about some cool desktop players? I'm on the phone and can't post pics, but my favorite is the original Rega Planet with "barbecue" case. Cast aluminum and still very sexy. One of my favorites and it still sounds great. Sooner or later, I've got to drop fresh caps into its power supply. I want it to keep going for a long time.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 46
Cool pics, of the ones pictured I like the Philips AZ6819 which I also currently own. The Sony D-JE01, D-J50, and D-311 are also great vintage pcdps. I need to pull them out of storage someday and give them listen as it's been a while.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 46

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 46
Some very nice players you posted. My favorite would be that XL-P9 that you posted. What a great simple design.

I had this player near the end of portable CD players. Thought it was the coolest thing ever, but didn't sound the best. The antiskip could not be turned off and the memory buffer was small so the sound was very compressed. It still brought me many hours of listening enjoyment though back in the day.

Panasonic Panasonic SL-CT780

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 46
Nice pic!

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 46
Just a quick sidemark: I´ve just received a Sony D-220 I´ve won two days ago. It is in almost pristine condition and functions extremely well. While it may not be one of the more famous portables and it certainly wasn´t one of their highest entries I´m still surprised how good it sounds! It is extremely charming in the most positive way, I thought it would be much worse. The highs are beautiful, the mids are smooth and the bass is huge (maybe a tad to soft) but I´m listening with a Koss Porta Pro right now. I still have to hear its line-out and with more headphones. But so far it really has been a pleasant surprise. Jumping from track to track is extremely fast and easy, it starts up very fast so I guess the drive, motor and laser are still ok.

There´s just this annoying tracking noise during the music through the headphone out. But it´s not broken, I now remember why I bid on this in the first place: a friend of mine had it in 1993 and I remember that noise from back then. I´ll make some pictures if you guys are interested.

Gosh, I have a new hobby: collecting vintage PCDP!

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 46
I have a Sony D-9 thats been sitting in its original box in my closet for the past 25 years.... Do you think its worth anything? 

and now I'm kicking myself for throwing away a tower of 6 of those tray load NEC CD drives...

Oct 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 46
I think maybe you got a D220 with DBB?
I ever had a D223 carrying with DBB, sounds great.
Looking forward to your pics!
I have all commom top model PCDPs.
It just like you have a  group of wives, you can choose anyone you like to accompany with you!

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 46
D9 is an example of entry-level SONY vintage player.
It has classic design and huge earphone output althoght it has severe capacitors' issue.
It has a satisfied sound when turning on the EQ.
It's suitable to be your musicbox besides your pillow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back