Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds!
Aug 2, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #107 of 121
for audio I very much do both. some stuff I buy on impulse, or really just because "I want it all, and I want it now"(I should stop with queen's lyrics). aside from that, there are many gears I desire but do not buy because they aren't functional for my use, or because the specs improvements seem too small to justify the price difference with what I already have. LCD2 rev2 and shure SE846 being 2 perfect examples of stuff I love and want, but most likely may never buy. audeze for the overwhelming(to me) weight. the shure because of the sensitivity and ultra low impedance. mostly objective and practical reasons.
I never bought a DAC, amp or DAP because of how it sounded. might seem strange to you but it's the truth. I often decide not to buy or to sell back because of how they sound though(usually background noise is the deal breaker for me). but never the other way around yet. so I'm not sold on the purely emotional end decision in my case. in fact when conflicted I side with reason most of the time.

All those are emotional reasons. Weight, compared to what? Many feel the same way about the weight but due to emotions, and the value in other areas, still own them. Background noise, it can be very little, a hum or an air like sound. There are variables but again it is actually emotional to deal or not deal with it.

Again all these things can be put into numbers and graphs, in the end the decision is emotional anyway.

Sensitivity and impedance, again those numbers are all over the place and even if they seem correct for your amp, or set of amps, it is still an emotional choice to buy or not. We just tell ourselves we are doing the due process but it's still a choice.

People who own businesses may have whole teams gather information. They study the information, but the decisions even if to not make a move or change are purly emotional. Business is actually highly emotional but we like the think it is fact based. If it was just fact based business would be soo much more easy.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #109 of 121

I'm left hand dominant so maybe I am better

I'm ambidextrous, so who are you zombies? :wink:

my handwriting is almost as bad on both hands, does that make me ambidextrous of handicapped?
biggrin.gif

@Red I can't say that I agree with you. unless you're trying to say that everything a human does is emotional, which could make some sense if we dig deep enough, or look freud's way and see that putting on a headphone is my way to go back into my mother's womb or whatever funky stuff he would have come up with nowadays. but as I said for a few gears, my emotional decision would be to buy them. reason is the only thing telling me not to. and as I don't buy them, doesn't it make reason the winner? and the times I do end up buying something, does it mean that emotion won, or that reason didn't have enough ammo to shoot it down?
I'm not trying to say that I'm a robot, as I said I impulse buy like the next guy, but not for everything.

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #110 of 121

my handwriting is almost as bad on both hands, does that make me ambidextrous of handicapped?
biggrin.gif

@Red I can't say that I agree with you. unless you're trying to say that everything a human does is emotional, which could make some sense if we dig deep enough, or look freud's way and see that putting on a headphone is my way to go back into my mother's womb or whatever funky stuff he would have come up with nowadays. but as I said for a few gears, my emotional decision would be to buy them. reason is the only thing telling me not to. and as I don't buy them, doesn't it make reason the winner? and the times I do end up buying something, does it mean that emotion won, or that reason didn't have enough ammo to shoot it down?
I'm not trying to say that I'm a robot, as I said I impulse buy like the next guy, but not for everything.

So are you in a constant audiophile battle between your Super-ego and Id? Your wallet is the potential loser.

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #111 of 121
So are you in a constant audiophile battle between your Super-ego and Id? Your wallet is the potential loser.

I would feel bad calling it a battle after watching ronda rousey's fight(OMG). in fact they're in such good terms that they always agree on who's paying the bill.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #112 of 121
  I would feel bad calling it a battle after watching ronda rousey's fight(OMG). in fact they're in such good terms that they always agree on who's paying the bill.
biggrin.gif

You have a weak Super-ego and a kinky Id.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #113 of 121
my handwriting is almost as bad on both hands, does that make me ambidextrous of handicapped?:D

I'm just expressing that there are no perfect headphones. Some close and some not so close. We have members here who also were of the opinion that the LCD 2s are too heavy to make a purchase of. That my friend is an emotional decision based on fact.

Some members still purchased them but after an emotion of dispair due to weight sold them off. The ballance of qualities.

It's sometimes called others things, but in the end the facts only give information and to buy is emotional.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #114 of 121
the weight doesn't bother me on LCD 2.2 bamboo but it is nice to wear light headphones sometimes like oh nothing on my head feelin :)
Waiting in the mail for k702 their light and with bass mod should be fun and good compliment.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #115 of 121
the weight doesn't bother me on LCD 2.2 bamboo but it is nice to wear light headphones sometimes like oh nothing on my head feelin :)
Waiting in the mail for k702 their light and with bass mod should be fun and good compliment.

I have 2 pairs of k701s and was thinking of doing the bass mod on a pair. I'm not that good with tools but have done the easy bass mod on the Sennheiser HD439s. I took the tape off all three holes and it was like a different pair of headphones. After four days I went and placed a tape section over just the center hole and left the two side holes open. Now I like them. The complete tape off mod was just too much. You could actually get headaches and weird feelings of fatigue after an hour( even out of an iPod).Those silly cheap Sennheisers put out more bass than I have ever heard short of a powered 18 inch sub-woofer.

Let me know how the mod works, I may follow you?

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #117 of 121
I'm just expressing that there are no perfect headphones. Some close and some not so close. We have members here who also were of the opinion that the LCD 2s are too heavy to make a purchase of. That my friend is an emotional decision based on fact.

Some members still purchased them but after an emotion of dispair due to weight sold them off. The ballance of qualities.

It's sometimes called others things, but in the end the facts only give information and to buy is emotional.

Enjoyed mine for 2.5 yrs (LCD-2.2). Then realized I can get the sound profile (even better, for my tastes that is) with 30% less weight. So I sold them.
Not always entirely emotion -- this one decision was dictated by logic -- specs made a difference in making the decision easier.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #118 of 121
Enjoyed mine for 2.5 yrs (LCD-2.2). Then realized I can get the sound profile (even better, for my tastes that is) with 30% less weight. So I sold them.
Not always entirely emotion -- this one decision was dictated by logic -- specs made a difference in making the decision easier.

The oldest trick in sales is called the Ben Franklin close. My father actually showed it to me when I was 8 years old. You draw a line in the middle of a piece of paper then list the pros on one side and the cons on the other. You the add the sides and act accordingly. You think the choice is based on facts.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #119 of 121
The oldest trick in sales is called the Ben Franklin close. My father actually showed it to me when I was 8 years old. You draw a line in the middle of a piece of paper then list the pros on one side and the cons on the other. You the add the sides and act accordingly. You think the choice is based on facts.

:) thanks. Looking into negatives requires like staring into a hole of abyss darkness, then the pro's side is eliquate then returned to void, like the hole. In other words :) is a painful experience devoid of any real decipher or any real pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back