Some NYC touristic stuff
Mar 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
My mom is currently visiting NYC.
At a moment of stupidity I said that I don't want to go with her because I thought being in NYC with her and my 20 year old sister would be hell. Too much shopping lol.
So anyways, I wanna ask her to bring me stuff that are part of the NY "experience". I was thinking of asking her to bring me a "I <3 NY" but it's the usual and I was thinking maybe one of you guys would know what I should ask for.I already have a NY yellow cab poster I really like so posters aren't an option.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 17
tell her to go to Canal St. and pick up one of those shirts that says "screw you, you screwing screw."

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 17
Classy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 17
The statue of liberty lighter is always a winner

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 17
I cant think of anything that you can buy in NY that you cant get elsewhere other than food. All these touristy memorabilia stuff is overpriced in the stores anyway, if anything just get em online.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 17
Cookies from Lavain's Bakery. Your mom and sister will probably eat them all but give it a shot.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tell her to go to Canal St. and pick up one of those shirts that says "screw you, you screwing screw."

lol..i saw a shirt like that at one of the windows when i was at st marks today

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 17
Tell her to stop on Brooklyn and get you Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 17
There are tourist shops all over NYC, and funny enough, they sell almost the same items in every one. Lots of "I <3 NYC" lighters, shirts, hats, etc.. And really, most of the other stores have items that you can buy anywhere.

One thing I can think of is on Broadway next to the Ed Sullivan theater there is a CBS store that sells some very cool "Late Night with David Letterman" gear. I've been a Letterman fan for years, so I bought a hat there, and got it signed by Rupert G at the Hello Deli right next door. Funny side note. While using the bathroom nearby, I saw their announcer Allen Kalter dressed in drag for a sketch. At first he denied it was him, but he admitted it later (and signed my hat too!).

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Have her stop at Brighton Beach and bring you home cooked Russian food. It is something else.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 17
Well, NYC is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy electronics (it's where most goods enter the country). Think of some earbuds you want and have her do some haggling on Times Square.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mom is currently visiting NYC.
At a moment of stupidity I said that I don't want to go with her because I thought being in NYC with her and my 20 year old sister would be hell. Too much shopping lol.

Yeah that was stupid! I almost made the same mistake when I was 17, didn't want to go to NY with my parents but changed my mind at the last second. I have fond memories of listening to a Sony minidisc player I just picked up with the Godzilla soundtrack walking around the NY streets.

There really isn't anything you can bring away from NY apart from memories... make sure she takes a bunch of pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back