Some music is better from speakers ..
Sep 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sorry, but Diana Krall into my Grados is freaking me out : the piano, in particular, is way too realistic and her distinctive vocals are right in my head. Time to get back to my comfort zone, with psychotic rock stars screaming death and destruction at me - Diana will be reserved for lazy Sunday afternoons and reruns of The Gilmore Girls.
dt880smile.png

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 27
a lot of jazz recordings through headphones annoy me because the instruments will either be in one channel or the other. i get blasted with a trumpet in the left ear and i'll just be hearing the hihat and bass in the right. thank god for speakers.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 27
How can something sound 'too' realistic?
tongue.gif

Also, speakers> headphones for me, unfortunatly its not always possible to listen trough speakers
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 27
There was a time when I preferred speakers and only used headphones if the situation required it. Now I prefer phones and only use speakers when I have company. Tastes change.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool story bro
popcorn.gif

Yuuhuuun
popcorn.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crossfeed often helps with these kinds of problems.

... enter the K-1000

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 27
Yeah...hate to say it, but ALL music sounds better through speakers, if you can get yourself a good pair, put them in a good space where you have the ability to play them (i.e. don't piss off neighbors and family), and have decent electronics.

I like headphones, but I don't delude myself either and listen to speakers at home 90% of the time.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... enter the K-1000

Or that.

I really want to try a pair, see what all the fuss is about it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 27
For me...it's not so cut and dry. Assuming that you have a good system on both fronts (HP and speakers), I think that each has its place. They are just different, and for me, depending on my mood, equally enjoyable. Headphones and speakers bring different delicious things to the table.

I was trying to come up with an analogy...I have Vette Z06 (lets call that a fine song) and sometimes I like to carve it up on a back country road (head phones) and other times I like to break 160 on the super-slab (speakers).

Which is better? Neither.

Your mileage may vary...

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of jazz recordings through headphones annoy me because the instruments will either be in one channel or the other. i get blasted with a trumpet in the left ear and i'll just be hearing the hihat and bass in the right. thank god for speakers.

Check out foobar with foo_dsp_bs2b. No need for speakers.
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 27
i godda say that black sabbath sounds a thousand times better through headphones. i never liked black sabbath, then i got headphones. now i love them. switching from speakers to headphones with black sabbath playing is astonishing.

i love it when the track is balanced across both channels to reduce the cluttered sound most albums produce. i love it when you can picture where a normal band are on a stage, nomally i only get that kind of soundstage from classical music. its refreshing to hear it in other genres of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back