Some interesting things about the R-10…
Nov 2, 2002 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

do you know this guy? I found his name in this site: http://www.wallstreetcm.com/Members/...astatzidis.htm he wrote me this about the R-10:

“Hi Nicola,

The MDR-R10 are biological headphones. I both own and have made scholastic
acoustical research on and with them. They are able to produce excellent
sound, but, most unfortunately, they probably suffer from a special kind of
unreliability in membranes.

You can contact spanorg@stereopark.gr for more information.

Your welcome,

Gregory”
-------------------------------------------------------
R-10 replacements:

Paul of http://www.tangal.com/html/index.html told me that is necessary to ship the cans to Sony factory for the replace of the pads, what do you think? Is this only for money or really is not so easy to replace the pads in the R-10?

http://www.audiocubes.com/ they have the R-10 replacements for 255$ a pair, you can to find in the site (Sony product).

Please, if anyone knows how to do the replace, replay soon!!!

Thanks a lot to all!!!!!!
Nicola

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi Nik...

Thinking of the MDR-E888 which is the most basic Sony 'phone to use the Biocellulose membrane.. it is incredibly thin, and prone to destruction very easily....

The MDR-CD1700s that I have also have the same driver membrane as the E888s, CD1000s, CD2000s, CD3000s, and R10s... but have a peak power rating of 1 watt... so there shouldn't be too much go wrong there (unless the membrane can crumple with big bass notes very easily)

What is the peak power rating of the MDR-R10?... if it is anything over 500mw, I shouldn't be too alarmed by what was said in your email
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 12
I just askt something about his experience with the R-10, only this...

Do you know nothing about replacements pads???
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
The MDR-R10 are biological headphones. I both own and have made scholastic
acoustical research on and with them. They are able to produce excellent
sound, but, most unfortunately, they probably suffer from a special kind of
unreliability in membranes.

Sorry Nik... I was reffering to this part of your post...

As to the pads... Sorry, no I don't

Nov 2, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Nik,

Replacing the R10 pads is not merely a matter of replacing the pads themselves. Underneath the padding, there is a layer of yellow foam that is adhered between the pads and the cup housing. It's nearly impossible to take the pads off and retain that foam as well. I would assume Sony wants it back so that they can properly remove the pads and the yellow foam.

The pads themselves are actually just adhered on. If you're brave enough, you can actually try peeling away a small spot of the pad to peek at the foam underneath...

As for the unreliability...I doubt that's a problem. It's true that Sony uses a biological process to specially create the drivers, but I don't think this results in any less reliable of a product. Besides the R10s were probably one of the most rigidly tested and inspected products to ever leave Sony's warehouse. Each R10 is closely examined and tested by a human being that leaves their signature on the back of the manual before the R10 is allowed to go out into the world.

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
What is the peak power rating of the MDR-R10?... if it is anything over 500mw, I shouldn't be too alarmed by what was said in your email
smily_headphones1.gif

Peak power is 1000 mW. However, the real question is whether or not biocellulose degrades with age. If it does, then drivers manufactured ten years ago may perform, but will they perform as well as brand new ones? I'm not sure that even Sony would have a definite answer.

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 12
I have #17 (probably made in the first year of production) and spent the night listening to them. They still sound very clear and fresh. Then again, my only other real phones to compare them by is a set of Grado HP-1s which are most likely even older.

I don't think I am going to worry too much about the drivers. The pads on the other hand... Their irregular shape is important to the sound... will probably replace them when their time comes.

Nov 2, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks Vertigo-1

Thank you very much Vertigo for your information about replacement on the R-10. As you said it is possible to see the yellow foam and a adhesive paper that help to keep adhered the pads to the cans. But seems that the yellow foam do not is adhered to the leather of the pad, but just positioned in the housing, independently from the pad (but I’m not sure…). Seems that the leather pads are tied with little press buttons and that adhesive film. Do you think that the yellow foam is part of the replacement, the new replace came with this foam or not?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 3, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm thinking the yellow foam might be part of the R10's dampening system, alongside the magnesium alloy frame. So perhaps it is not an integral part of the padding itself...but ripping parts away from that foam might not be too good either.

Nov 3, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 12
The leather and wood used in the R10 are also "biological materials", and I'm not too concerned about them wearing out before I do! I tend not to worry about the drivers. When I spoke to Hart at AA (formerly only R10 U.S. distributor), I specifically asked about this, and he told me they were designed to last "a lifetime" (I didn't even purchase them from him so he had no reason to try to "sell me" on the R10s.) Just some more anecdotal evidence.

My R10's are #365 and probably date from around '92 or '93, although they were unused and hadn't been sold to the person I purchased them from until the late 90's. nevertheless, the leather's in fine shape and I just don't see it wearing out any time soon. As for the sound of my 10 year-old headphones, I think everyone knows where I stand on that...
rolleyes.gif

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back