Some interesting measurements about FLAC VS WAV
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
Someone posted about their measurements result on my prank.....I mean my experiment I shared again recently. Here's what he said.
while I did not even read the article, this is the same discussion why flac vs wav can sound different even though technically they contain the same waveform
suppose you have a wav file:

- one on a normal filesystem
- one on a compressed filesystem
- one on a btrfs filesystem with bit rot detection via checksums
- one on an encrypted filesystem (eg truecrypt, veracrypt)

accessing the same wav file on these different filesystems will cause a completely different cpu load pattern
the encrypted filesystem will cause the highest load, while the normal filesystem will cause the lowest load
all cpu's radiate microwave, which is visible as RF in the PC case, and also partially transmitted via USB to a USB DAC
while the bits are technically bitperfect and a filesystem will not normally flip bits, the extra microwave RF will smear the analog sections of the dac
this was confirmed by dac designers
we did these measurements and the load patterns of wav vs flac are completely different
you may have the false belief that all async dacs solve these issues as they are master of the clock and the data is bitperfect, but it simply does not work like the ideal world.

He said he actually measured the signal and found extra microwave RF smearing the analog sections of the dac. What do you guys think about this?

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 9
instructions unclear, I put my flac in a zip to increase processing, but the water for my tea is still cold.

aside from trying to fuel readers paranoia, this says nothing, provides no measure, not even an idea of the magnitudes we're talking about. even playing the same file twice won't show the exact same results as long as the accuracy of the measurement is big enough.

sure if there is no decompression step, then there is at least statistically less cpu usage and at some point less noise or whatever. but if you're really considering that kind of stuff as relevant to music listening, then I'd suggest to stop using a computer. any maniac search for incremental improvements will lead to that conclusion in the end.
use 800*600 screen reso to lower GPU usage.
turn off the wifi.
unplug external gears, the mouse even without special driver refreshes the position every 8ms, that has to ruin the music.
unplug electrical devices in the house, including the fridge.
turn off the cellphone.
and put everything in a Faraday cage inside a bunker.

all those stuff have, I imagine, a very real potential to change the measured signal in some measurable way. but the line between pushing the limits of fidelity, and the need for a therapy, is becoming hard for me to see.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 9
... He said he actually measured the signal and found extra microwave RF smearing the analog sections of the dac. What do you guys think about this?

I think I'd like to know which DAC it was, so that I can avoid it. If it's measurably susceptible to RF noise likely to be found in the home environment, it isn't well designed.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 9
  Someone posted about their measurements result on my prank.....I mean my experiment I shared again recently. Here's what he said.

He said he actually measured the signal and found extra microwave RF smearing the analog sections of the dac. What do you guys think about this?

What do I think?  Every electron is potentially in a different location respective to the nucleus of the atom it is a part of at every instance of measurement that is observed.  I believe the position of the electrons should be fully accounted for before any attempts are made to sort out any differences that may be brought about from microwaves.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 9

What do I think?  Every electron is potentially in a different location respective to the nucleus of the atom it is a part of at every instance of measurement that is observed.  I believe the position of the electrons should be fully accounted for before any attempts are made to sort out any differences that may be brought about from microwaves.

I wonder what Heisenberg would think of all this :wink:

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 9

I wonder what Heisenberg would think of all this :wink:

The cat is dead ... or alive but you can't tell for certain.
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 9
  The cat is dead ... or alive but you can't tell for certain.
tongue.gif

No, that's Schrodinger, who would have thought that the OP is simultaneously both a complete troll and an honest (without agenda) enquirer and would only become one or the other when his posts are read/observed. I don't know what Heisenberg would think to be honest, he'd probably have been uncertain, just on principle! 
bigsmile_face.gif

G

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 9

No, that's Schrodinger, who would have thought that the OP is simultaneously both a complete troll and an honest (without agenda) enquirer and would only become one or the other when his posts are read/observed. I don't know what Heisenberg would think to be honest, he'd probably have been uncertain, just on principle! 
bigsmile_face.gif

G

well, the OP has an agenda.  The OP always comes here lacking any data, just some suppositions and 2nd hand news with some alluded to effect without ever once coming up with the goods.  Really you think he would have been embarrassed enough by now.  But the faith in the golden ear audiophile is strong in this one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back