Some help with solo cello
Mar 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,
Lately I've been obsessed with Bach's solo cello concertos. Different performers have such different interpretations of these pieces and I've been impressed by each of them. Yo Yo Ma had a great version of the prelude in G minor on the Master and Commander soundtrack, and thats what got me into this addiction.

Anyway, I'm looking to further my sickness by finding other solo cello music. It doesn't necessarily have to be similar, but I'm a big fan of the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic eras right now. I'll tell you that this is the beginning of my search, so please include any and all great pieces you know of, no matter how popular with the classical crowd. I am the proverbial "n00b" as of now.

Cheers and thanks very much,
Zach

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 9
You absolutely have to get the Dvorak and Elgar concertos by du Pre. (Plus of course some minor pieces by lesser mortals.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Amazon.com: Jacqueline du Pré - The Concerto Collection: Edward Elgar, Joseph Haydn, Antonin Dvorak, Luigi Boccherini, Robert Schumann, Frederick Delius, Georg Mathias Monn, Richard Strauss, English Chamber Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli, Daniel Bare

The recordings with Barbirolli are generally considered some of the very best for solo cello.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Gabriel Fauré if you like romantic era:

765816m.jpg

Late romantic era:

Nikolai Myaskovsky's 2 Cello Sonatas & 2 Cello Concertos (either versions by Tarasova; Rostropovich or Truls Mork)
61An6UrTBOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Far more compelling than the over-rated pomposity of the Elgarian cello concerto
biggrin.gif

If you like ultra-modern solo cello music, Pawel Szymanski's work and other contemporary composers are collected in Patosz's 'Cellovator' album. Utterly indispensible for modern classical cello lovers. Here's his site:

Mikołaj Pałosz - vc

and album:

callovator.jpg

But be warned...! Baroque it ain't!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be the cello adaptation of "Pomp and Circumstance."
ksc75smile.gif

Haha. That's Elgar for you
wink_face.gif

Don't forget the Yo-Yo Ma Solo album - Kodaly, Wilde, Tchrepnin, Sheng and O'Connor.

I like Mark O'Connor's work in modern alt.folk.rock music. But his solo stuff (usually written for violin, transcribed to cello) don't work for me. I like his work way less than Patosz. Patosz is innovative and original - just utterly refreshing and intense. Not immediate nor lyrical mind you - takes some time to get into.

1271110.jpg

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Have you tried Heinrich Schiff on the Bach Cello Suites?

and the Shostakovich Cello Concerto is a must! (Rostropovich, Ma, Chang)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back