Some Headphone advice
May 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

evant8950

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I currently am using the Ultrasone PRO 900.  I was wondering what would be the next step up from them.  I would love some recommendations.

Thanks!

May 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 21
I would say try an open headphone. They have a better soundstage than a closed headphone. The Sennheiser HD800 has an amazing soundstage and excels with jazz, which is what I listen to mainly. But also sounds good with other genres.

May 28, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 21
Hey everyone,

I currently am using the Ultrasone PRO 900.  I was wondering what would be the next step up from them.  I would love some recommendations.

Thanks!

A budget and music preferences would be helpful :wink:

May 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 21
What are you looking for on your next pair of headphones? care to explain a bit. 

May 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 21
That is a hard question to answer.  I've came from a pair of Bose Triport headphones then to the Ultrasone HFI-580 then the the PRO 900.  I love the sound of the PRO 900 and I guess I would like to know what would take it to the next level.  Someone recommended a pair of open back headphones, I've only had closed back.  I like to hear the detail in the bass and I like clear highs, but not something that is excessively warm.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

May 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
That is a hard question to answer.  I've came from a pair of Bose Triport headphones then to the Ultrasone HFI-580 then the the PRO 900.  I love the sound of the PRO 900 and I guess I would like to know what would take it to the next level.  Someone recommended a pair of open back headphones, I've only had closed back.  I like to hear the detail in the bass and I like clear highs, but not something that is excessively warm.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Right, or probably you want to try a different sound signature? where are you plugging your headphones to? 

May 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 21
I was thinking you could try some orthos, like the Hifiman HE-400's (which have a nice bass response) but you will need to upgrade your Fiio, is not enough for them. 

May 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 21
but you will need to upgrade your Fiio, is not enough for them. 

I strongly agree with this.

Even if you went for easier to drive headphones that don't need powerful amplification and could be powered from a Fiio E7, a source upgrade is a logical step here. Fiios are quite nice for their modest price and go well with modestly priced headphones.

But once you compare them with higher end stuff, the E7 and E10 are pretty crappy, that's both the DAC and amp stage. In my opinion, if you are investing in an upgrade from a PRO900, you are overdue for a better source.

May 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 21
It really depends on what you want to spend, how portable you want it to be and what headphones you intend to get.
You can either go for a dac/amp combo, or keep them as separate devices. I personally tend to like the second option because its more versatile that way and most combos have seemed to me like a bit of a compromise. But that's not to say there aren't some very good combos out there.

As far as specific recommendations, there are so many good amps and dacs out there it is a bit hard to know where to start. If I was looking for a decent DAC and amp setup I'd look at something along these lines:
A Schiit Lyr and a Bifrost would be a nice option that isn't expensive, should sound pretty good and will run probably any headphone you should care to throw at it.
A Meier Audio Corda Classic and a Stage DAC would be another great combination, a bit more expensive, a bit higher end.
If you didn't want to spend much: A Musical Fidelity V-DAC and a Matrix M-Stage would be a very nice sounding budget option. Probably not optimal for driving higher end orthodynamics like the HE-6 or LCD-2 though, but most other headphones should be fine.

This is just scratching the surface really. Probably best look around at what experienced people say synergises well with whatever headphones you intend to get.

May 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
In your opinion,  what would go well with my PRO 900's?  I was looking at the NuForce HDP.  Also, I think I am going to use optical instead of USB.

Have you ever heard of the Matrix M stage (usb version)? it goes well with my 900's and its very cheap. I say its a worthy upgrade over the Fiio's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back