Some complaints about Lamb; General Trip-Hop
Mar 24, 2006 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
After many recommendations, I went out and bought Lamb's self titled album.
First off, this is more drum n' bass than your your classic Trip-Hop album.
Second, its just not doing it for me. Some of the songs are quite good, but the lead singers voice at times can get very annoying, especially when she drags out those horrible notes...

Anyways, just felt like b*tching a little because I havent been able to find any real quality Trip-Hop in a while.
Seems like everything just pales in comparison to Massive Attack and Portishead, no?

I dont have any of the following:
Thievery Corp.
Laika
Esthero
Smith and Mighty
and i only have one Hooverphonic-"Sterephonic Sound...."

Can someone please suggest a killer album!?

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 22
if you like massive attack then i presume you've already checked out tricky, right?

if not, maxinquaye is generally regarded as one of his best, and if you want a bit more rock in your trip-hop, blowback is a really good album.

whatever you do don't buy juxtapose...he actually apologized to his fans after releasing the album because it's that bad.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy
if you like massive attack then i presume you've already checked out tricky, right?

if not, maxinquaye is generally regarded as one of his best, and if you want a bit more rock in your trip-hop, blowback is a really good album.

whatever you do don't buy juxtapose...he actually apologized to his fans after releasing the album because it's that bad.

cant stand Tricky...but I appreciate the suggestion.
Again, I respect ur opinion-and alot of people have suggested me Tricky too...but, I really think that Maxinquaye is THE most over-rated Trip-Hop album ever made.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 22
Lolo - Bad Idea http://www.grindertool.com/lolo.html hope this is what you're looking for, i happen to love the album
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Thievery Corp.
Esthero
Smith and Mighty
and i only have one Hooverphonic-"Sterephonic Sound...."

Thats almost my recommended list right there.
tongue.gif

Laika is pretty good, but you can do better. Esthero's first album Breath from Another is great, definately a trip hop essential. Smith and Mighty is one of my favourites, but it depends what you like. Think old Massive Attack [Blue Lines], only with more Reggae and World music influence. Hooverphonics albums are all great, Blue Wonder Powder Milk is the next one you want to get.

Thievery Corporation can be quite trip hop at times, but they really explore everything. Hands down my favourite group. All of the albums are great, but I'd have to say The Mirror Conspiracy is my personal favourite.

If you don't mind a bit of male rap, get Archive Londinium. Best single album out there IMO.

Also, if you are digging the sountrack-type music that Massive Attack shells out [at least more recently], check out Craig Armstrong [has worked with Del Naja and the boys in the past] and Cinematic Orchestra... both great.
cool.gif

If you like Portishead [personally I think they're overrated] definately pick up Jay Jay Johanson's "Poison". It's almost creepy how close his vocals are to Beth's.
wink.gif

For more suggestions, see a previous post of mine. The rest of the thread has some good suggestions as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

viator - The Antidote? Is that their new best of thingy?

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 22
Some suggestions for you to check out that fall into the category of Trip-Hop, or mostly so:

Curve - Come Clean
Daughter Darling - Sweet Shadows
Lolo - Bad Idea
Martina Topley-Bird - Anything
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X
Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon
Violet Indiana - Roulette
Vortex - Vortex (CD Baby)
Zenen - States of Mind (CD Baby)

I agree that Massive Attack and (particularly) Portishead are hard acts to follow. You should also give a listen to Beth Gibbons' solo release if you haven't heard it: Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Thats almost my recommended list right there.
tongue.gif

Laika is pretty good, but you can do better. Esthero's first album Breath from Another is great, definately a trip hop essential. Smith and Mighty is one of my favourites, but it depends what you like. Think old Massive Attack [Blue Lines], only with more Reggae and World music influence. Hooverphonics albums are all great, Blue Wonder Powder Milk is the next one you want to get.

Thievery Corporation can be quite trip hop at times, but they really explore everything. Hands down my favourite group. All of the albums are great, but I'd have to say The Mirror Conspiracy is my personal favourite.

If you don't mind a bit of male rap, get Archive Londinium. Best single album out there IMO.

Also, if you are digging the sountrack-type music that Massive Attack shells out [at least more recently], check out Craig Armstrong [has worked with Del Naja and the boys in the past] and Cinematic Orchestra... both great.
cool.gif

If you like Portishead [personally I think they're overrated] definately pick up Jay Jay Johanson's "Poison". It's almost creepy how close his vocals are to Beth's.
wink.gif

For more suggestions, see a previous post of mine. The rest of the thread has some good suggestions as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

viator - The Antidote? Is that their new best of thingy?

Thanx Phil!
Im gonna pick up Esthero and Thievery.
Ive been really enjoying Zero 7's "Simple Things".
If you havent heard it-pick it up, its quite good.
BTW-have you heard of Delerium? I keep running into it during my trip-hop/downtempo "research sessions"...sounds like interesting stuff.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Ive been really enjoying Zero 7's "Simple Things".

That album is great, though I like their new album When It Falls even better. The male vocals are nice... the track "Warm Sounds" is brilliant.
340smile.gif

EDIT: Oops, need to learn how to read.
tongue.gif

EDIT2: I find Delerium a little boring, but my Dad likes it.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If you are looking for a good trip hop album that is on par with Portishead and Massive attack, find Perfume Tree's "A Lifetime Away." I see it come up on eBay quite frequently for less than $10. It's not in the same league, but Waldeck's The Night Garden is also very good.

hey Knuckles!
I have this same recommendation from you written in my "to buy" list of Trip-Hop names. It was from a previous thread of mine. I did some reading up on them and they sound interesting but more along the post-rock/shoegazer genre than T.H.?
Ill check em out regardless...

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Try out the "beta band".

They are definitely trip-hop in my opinion but they lean more towards an indie sound. I recommend "The three EPs" album. Listen to the first song and I garauntee you get hooked
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Oh, by the way, I didn't mention it in the last post, but I actually really like Lamb myself... Their self titled may not have been the best place to start. And you are right that they are very DnB [not necissarily a bad thing]. Try finding the track 'fly' from Fear of Fours and see if you like it... one of my favourite songs. Lou's voice does take a while to get used to, I guess it's one of those things you either end up loving or hating.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Laika is pretty good, but you can do better.

wink.gif

Not to me. Best of anything mentioned in this thread, but they don't really have that much of the "standard" hip hop beats in their sound. More influence from Can and Miles Davis and early Kraftwerk. Very inventive. That debut nearly created a new genre of music. I don't think many bands in the 90s successfully combined electronica with nervous, glitchy 7/4 beats and swirl of atmospherics like Laika. They created a stew of rock, jazz, soul, funk and electronica that still sounds fresh. All just my opinion and strictly for fun and this isn't a recommendation to kwitel since those first couple Tricky albums are classics to me, but just listened to the debut Silver Apples of the Moon this morning an can't get "44 Robbers" out of my head ...

I got up at half past four
forty-four robbers around my door
forty-four - and maybe more
what the hell they want me for?
stubbly faces & gap-tooth grins
ain't no way I'm lettin' them in

no way - you can't come in
forty-four robbers stinkin' of gin
uh huh - I ain't lettin' you in
I'll hit you with a rolling pin
so small can't hurt a fly
get in my way and I'll sure as hell try