Some aesthetic nitpicky things on the Sennheiser 280s...
Oct 18, 2002 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Hello, first post from a ~3 week lurker. I used to lurk over at Headwize too, but this place is a lot more active. They're not a bad bunch over there though.

Anyhoo... I was just wondering if anyone has a pair of the Senn 280s and could answer a couple questions I have about them... (actually, maybe I should ask this over at Headwize... seems like everyone over there has a pair). I have a pair of Koss KSC-50s which are nice for on-the-go, but sometimes I need to sit down with my laptop for some more critical listening and some more isolation. Obviously, the 280s are good for this, but how compactly do they fold up? I'm not interested in pocket-sized portability here... I just want to make sure that I'll be able to fit them into a pocket of space in my backpack... could anyone offer up dimensional size of the folded cans? Also, what of the build quality? I've heard they are kind of cheapy-plasticky, which is OK by me as long as the sound is good... are they gonna crack if I lean on my backpack wrong though?

The Ety's looked nice too, but in all actuality, I would really only use them on an airplane. I really can't justify spending $250+ on them, because I really only travel maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes too much isolation can be a scary thing. (ok ok, i just don't want people making fun of me in front of my face and me not having the faintest idea... that and large trucks sideswiping and pummeling me... it's a toss up between the two).

Sorry about this next piece of randomness... but I just got all giddy on a Super mini portable amp and in a fit of spendiness purchased one. I can't wait to plug in... seeing as how I haven't heard my Senn 600s through a dedicated headphone amp yet...

*Sigh*

You headphonofiles are ruining this college kid's financial status.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
how compactly do they fold up?

About 7" x 5" (they're about 8" x 9.5" when open). They fit fine in a backpack.

Quote:

Also, what of the build quality? I've heard they are kind of cheapy-plasticky, which is OK by me as long as the sound is good... are they gonna crack if I lean on my backpack wrong though?

Definitely not. They're plastic, but the build quality is pretty good. Sturdier than a lot of plastic cans.

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

You headphonofiles are ruining this college kid's financial status.

yeah welcome to the club, i myself as a college student know how that is, heh. as the conventional greeting goes, sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif
! wonder why macdef missed to mention it
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 8
16cm x 14cm x 9cm folded.

They do look cheap and very silly. I use it at home, and then only with a paper bag over my head.

They're very well moulded and built. Every part prone to wear is replaceable.

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey, out of curiousity...

Is anyone familiar with any other closed cans that will isolate better and sound somewhere within the same range as that of the Senn 280s? Please keep in mind, these cans will be used for monitoring... so I can't have too much coloration in there. From what I've heard, the Senn 280s are about the best isolators in terms of closed cans. And no, the Etys don't count because I don't want quite that much isolation... plus I can't be spending that much anyways...

Oh, and while they may pale in aesthetic comparison to those v700s... I'm not a flashy guy. I think my girlfriend actually likes it when I'm "very silly"... so the 280s will fit on my head perfectly! (Actually, no, she'll probably give me a scowl and a "waste of money" muttering under her breath...)

Oct 18, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Is anyone familiar with any other closed cans that will isolate better and sound somewhere within the same range as that of the Senn 280s? Please keep in mind, these cans will be used for monitoring... so I can't have too much coloration in there. From what I've heard, the Senn 280s are about the best isolators in terms of closed cans. And no, the Etys don't count because I don't want quite that much isolation... plus I can't be spending that much anyways...

For monitoring and little coloration, the HD 280 Pro and the Sony MDR-V6 are really the only things worth considering in the sub-$100 price range (or even quite a bit above $100, actually). The V6 are a bit smaller, and have a lot more metal
wink.gif
. The main difference between the two, IMO, is in the bass. The HD 280 are a tad on the recessed side, whereas the V6 are a tad on the emphasized side. Both are excellent, both fold up similarly (the V6 just a bit smaller), both have a one-sided, coiled cord.

In terms of price, the V6 are around $70, but I consider a $20 pad upgrade to be an absolute necessity, so think of them as $90
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Hello, first post from a ~3 week lurker. I used to lurk over at Headwize too, but this place is a lot more active. They're not a bad bunch over there though.

OUR ROOTS BABY !

We all started at at Headwize but when Chu Moy was unable to keep the site up for lack of server space we ,all feeling very caught out , gathered here thanks to Judes fine efforts.He is the man.

As time went on the headwize site was up and down so much we just huddled together and made this home .

Though meant to be a temporary solution it just kept growing until ?

But hell man , I still do headwize and AM still a card carrying Headwize Counsel Member

Rickamundo

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Hey, out of curiousity...

Oh, and while they may pale in aesthetic comparison to those v700s... I'm not a flashy guy. I think my girlfriend actually likes it when I'm "very silly"... so the 280s will fit on my head perfectly! (Actually, no, she'll probably give me a scowl and a "waste of money" muttering under her breath...)

Pale has nothing to do with it... Just wait til you put them on
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd have to echo MacDEF's comments re: the 280 and other phones under/over $100. The 280 does indeed have something of a recessed bass - but if you're monitoring, this may not bother you.

I use it exclusively for audio editing in a reasonably noisy room (mostly the constant droning sound of fans), and I've yet to find anything more suitable - I find it has a microscope character that allows me to very easily concentrate on any one component of the mix.

Oh, if after you get them, you find them uncomfortable due to pressure on the top of the head, post and and I'll send you some pics of how to easily cure that problem so that long-term wearing is less of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back