[SOLVED] Need help picking portable earphones under $160
Jun 28, 2015 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jarrsquare

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! 

My dad told me that he's going to buy me a pair of earphones with a maximum budget of around $160 (NTD 5,000). The earphone will be bought in Taiwan so I've converted the budget. 
The earphones should be portable, preferably IEMs or clip-ons. Small note: Some earphones available here in Taiwan might be more expensive than the prices in US so it'd be great if they don't cost exactly $160. :)

I wasn't able to test out a bunch of earphones due to time restraints, so here are some thoughts I have about the two earphones I tested:

ATH-EW9 (costs ~$160)
First off, these are GORGEOUS. The wood finish is simply breathtaking! I listened to them for a bit at the store and they sounded really really nice. I don't know the exact terms, but the sound felt a bit "lacking" as compared to IEMs which sound "fuller" to me. I believe that it's because the EW9s are clip-ons. I wasn't able to listen to a lot and since I only have my phone with me, I don't really know what it'll sound like on my computer (it's got a Creative sound card, much much better than my phone's). I've tried researching the EW9 but there aren't a lot of reviews available. 

Dunu Titan 1 (costs ~$74)
I feel like this IEM has a larger soundstage as compared to the EW9. I wasn't able to compare them both side-by-side as these were only available for listening at another store. My memory's a bit hazy, but when I listened to Joshua Radin's Angels, the Titan 1's sounded a bit better. However, while listening to the same track on  the EW9, the volume was set pretty low so maybe that's why I think it sounded better on the Titan 1. 

I listen to a lot of different genres, but I listen to electronic/dance, pop, rock, and indie a bit more than the others and I love female vocals. I don't need super bass because I have an AKG K550 with a Fiio E12 (for the bass boost). I just need something portable. I also don't care about noise isolation as I'll be using them in quiet environments most of the time. 

Any recommendations? Thanks! :D

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 11
You should consider the Yamaha EPH-100!

Best Luck!

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Jun 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 11
While lurking I considered the Hifiman RE400 and RHA MA750 next to the Titans and mentioned Yamaha. I bought the Titan and MHA. Love them both, but prefer the clarity and lesser bass on the Titan. The openness and half in-ear I can forgive the Titans because they sound so good.  

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #5 of 11
  While lurking I considered the Hifiman RE400 and RHA MA750 next to the Titans and mentioned Yamaha. I bought the Titan and MHA. Love them both, but prefer the clarity and lesser bass on the Titan. The openness and half in-ear I can forgive the Titans because they sound so good.  

thanks! :D
I'll keep an eye out for them :D

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 11
vsonic gr07 BE  Yamaha EPH-100 and RHA 750

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Oh wow, that's a lot of recommendations for the vsonic, yamaha and rha! i'll definitely check them out. :D
By the way, how do you think those IEMs will compare to the ATH clip-ons?

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 11
  Oh wow, that's a lot of recommendations for the vsonic, yamaha and rha! i'll definitely check them out. :D
By the way, how do you think those IEMs will compare to the ATH clip-ons?

i dont think diferent mp3 players really change the sound alot maybe if you buy really expensive ones like +$300

but it should sound good. to bad the eph 100 was like $100 couple months ago now its $130

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi guys! Thanks for all of your responses, they meant a lot :)
I tried to find the IEM's that were recommended, but I couldn't find the RHA and Vsonic :frowning2:
Luckily, I was able to test out a bunch of other IEM's and the ATH-EM7x :D
After trying them all out, I ended up choosing the EW9 because it just sounds so much better in my ears (and the wood finish is magnificent!) :D
Thanks again to everyone who helped me out :DDDD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back