[SOLVED] HOW would I go about hooking up my PS5 to my external DAC?
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DAPpower

1000+ Head-Fier
Any here figured out how to hook up the PS5 to your external DAC yet? Apparently you can't do it through USB becuase the PS5 doesn't support UAC2.
There also isn't a optical port on the PS5 that you could take advantage of, anyone figured out a workaround yet?

I have the ifi PRO dac/amp and it is stacked with the ifi iCAN.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 17
Nevermind, I guess I will just buy a UAC1 mini DAC device USB'ed from the PS5 and use it as a passthrough with optical out into my actual ifi Pro DAC.

Problem solved!

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 17
You have a PS5?

:)

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Hey, I can help you if it not solved it yet, Do you possible to fix that?

Basically I just bought a UAC1 mini DAC converter device, I used it as a passthrough device, USB from that converter to the PS5 via USB and then I just connected a coaxial/optical from the converter to my ifi iPRO DAC/AMP. Problem solved!

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 17
@iFi audio

Afair many of the new ifi DACs support the PS5 or UAC1 by autoswitching.
Now where's my Ifi UAC1 to Coax, optical, AES converter?

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 17
@iFi audio

Afair many of the new ifi DACs support the PS5 or UAC1 by autoswitching.
Now where's my Ifi UAC1 to Coax, optical, AES converter?

This is the device I purchased on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE

Relatively cheap. Unfortunately I have the original ifi iPRO, not the recently released "SIGNATURE" ifi iPRO and iCAN. My method still works wonderfully and you can use any DAC and not be restricted to JLAB DACs.

I really like the PS5's "3D Sound" setting which sounds great on my ZMF Verites for gaming.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 17
yeah, I looked for that device too, even asked a friend to make a special version for me, but in the end I am just using the BlasterX G6's optical out for the 3D Audio to my DAC.

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 17
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 17

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE

Relatively cheap. Unfortunately I have the original ifi iPRO, not the recently released "SIGNATURE" ifi iPRO and iCAN. My method still works wonderfully and you can use any DAC and not be restricted to JLAB DACs.

I really like the PS5's "3D Sound" setting which sounds great on my ZMF Verites for gaming.
I can confirm that this item worked for me as well, plug and play easy. I'm going usb out from the PS5 into toslink optical into my bifrost 2.

One issue I'm still working on is getting the ps5 to play via speakers when the amp is off vs the headphones when it is on. I may have to manually change it based on what I'm using for sound at the moment, unless anyone has any tips.

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 17
I tried this to use with my K5 Pro: https://www.amazon.com/Reiyin-Converter-Toslink-Optical-External/dp/B07VSFBT82/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1S47YBTD27SN5&dchild=1&keywords=usb+to+optical+audio+adapter&qid=1634623381&sprefix=usb+to+optical,electronics,540&sr=8-4

Unfortunately it was dead on arrival. There are other reviews that state it does work with the PS5 if you get a good unit.
I would like to have something like it with coax instead of optical. Since the tv already uses the optical port on my dac. Question is if that would even improve anything compared to using through routing via optical on the tv

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #14 of 17

Heyas dumb question (just want to make sure I understand it correctly), I don't have a ps5 yet (but will get it soon) but currently have my jds labs atom amp/dac+ stack connected to ps4 through an optical. Is it correct that the only thing I need to get it working with ps5 is just buying that converter you linked and then just remove the optical from ps4 and stick it in that instead and it will work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Heyas dumb question (just want to make sure I understand it correctly), I don't have a ps5 yet (but will get it soon) but currently have my jds labs atom amp/dac+ stack connected to ps4 through an optical. Is it correct that the only thing I need to get it working with ps5 is just buying that converter you linked and then just remove the optical from ps4 and stick it in that instead and it will work?

Thanks in advance!

Unless your JDS Labs Atom has USC1 support then yes, you would have to get that mini DAC converter and use it as a passthrough device with a coaxial connection to your JDS Labs Atom DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back