[SOLVED] Constant "hum" or "electrical noise" through speakers
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

EDP

Head-Fier
Since two days, I'm hearing a constant hum through my speakers. It sounds as if a playing sound got locked in a frame of about 0.05 second and repeats constantly, so it sounds like a vibrating hum. I have no idea what causes this, because I can't remember changing anything in my computer. One important thing to notice is that I can turn the noise off by using the volume knob on my speaker. I can also turn it off by muting or lowering my Windows sound output volume. This means it is software related and not hardware related. Another thing that confirms this is when I change the output of my sound card to headphones, the noise stops through the speakers and is audible through my headphones.

What could be causing this? I would like to know if there is some program running in the background that somehow produces this sound. However, I guess there isn't. The Windows volume control shows just the "System Sounds" and Firefox as running programs that can produce sound. Lowering their volume bars has no effect on the noise, so they're not the culprit. Strangely enough, the Xonar Audio Center has these volume bars (for various frequencies). These bars DO show a sound playing (bandwidth is from about 120Hz up to 16kHz).

Another thing: I can play sounds, music, whatever, from whatever source (music players, games, YouTube videos) just fine, but the noise is there as well and very audible.

And here's one major clue, I guess: I have my TV hooked up to my Graphics Card through HDMI. I can change the Windows sound output to go to my TV instead of to the Xonar sound card. The noise is not present through the HDMI cable, because it isn't audible on my TV. I guess this means the Sound Card itself somehow produces the sound. Still, I wonder why I can turn off the noise through the Windows main volume control. This would contradict a hardware error.

Any ideas?

Edit: maybe this should have gone in the Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum section. Sorry!

Edit: Solved! Dunno how, but I figured it might have been an erroneous installation or configuration of a program I installed in the last couple of days. So I went into my Programs and features window, sorted the list by date and uninstalled the two programs on top of the list (both got updated two days ago): Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Air. I use Air for a music player, so maybe that was the culprit. A reboot then resulted in a noise-free Windows environment! :D

I just reinstalled both programs and they both work without producing any noise. I don't know whether or not any of them was causing the noise, but it's gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back