SOLVED: Cary Xciter - transformator humming 230V/50Hz issue??
Jun 12, 2012 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
edit:

PROBLEM SOLVED

An early batch of the Xciter lacked some output resistors. Thanks to 563 for helping out. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

I have been trying to purchase a Cary Xciter amp from a dealer. He has 3 left - but all of them hum through the headphones output. The humming sounds the same as from the transformator itself when I lay my ear close to it. 

I tried various tubes etc. and tried one of the amps in two different locations. Same same. Tried grounded and ungrounded mains. Connected to and not connected to sources. 

Cary haven't got ay idea what this is. My guess is that it is an issue with the mains - that the 50 Hz in my country is a bad match for the specific transformator used in this amp. 

Any idea?

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 12
A bad transformer could be a possibility. Have you tried using power conditioners? 

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 12
actually, when i bought mine, i had a hum too.  tried everything, and finally, i figured out that cary had forgotten to put a resistor in at the output stage.  i'm not technically inclined, so i think that was the problem.  turned out that this was an early version that i bought, and some time after mine was made, they figured this problem out and added a resistor to the output (again, i think that was what they did - maybe i have my old emails still - if so, i'll send you the info.  there still is the faintest of hums at very high volumes, but really is not bothersome at all - the rig is great now.  but i was really miffed that my dealer didn't help me figure out the problem, and i lost a good three months or so living with it and trying to fix it.  will get back to you with more info if i find my old emails with cary.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 12
if you pm me your email address, i can show you a photo of the two resistors.  mine did not have them, hence, the hum.  i had to send my xciter back to ge them installed, as i didn't want to do it myself....

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Interesting - and also interesting that Cary and the dealer couldn't identify the problem.  Annoying, to say the least, but good that you found out beforehand!   I'm sure you are gonna love the rig now that it has the resistors installed.   Let me know how it sounds to you now.  

PS - I use the HD800 and the PS1000 with my Cary Xciter amp and DAC combination, and I absolutely love it, using an old Hewlett Packard laptop with a Halide Design usb to bnc cable connected to it.   I think it's just a great system -  By the way, like you, I also own the SLI-80 (but with the F1 modifications) but it's been boxed up since the day I bought it - one day, if I ever have more room, I will finally set it up.

What country are you located in?  

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes, I also have the SLI-80! (Sig version) Love it!

Cary would have identified the problem themselves I believe, but they would have needed more time, and the dealer would have had do make an effort. The tech guy I communicated with was pretty ashamed. However, I have always had good communications with Cary, they always answer emails and makes an effort to help you - not all companies do. 

I'll check it out early next week :)

I'm located here: 

Quote:
Interesting - and also interesting that Cary and the dealer couldn't identify the problem.  Annoying, to say the least, but good that you found out beforehand!   I'm sure you are gonna love the rig now that it has the resistors installed.   Let me know how it sounds to you now.  

PS - I use the HD800 and the PS1000 with my Cary Xciter amp and DAC combination, and I absolutely love it, using an old Hewlett Packard laptop with a Halide Design usb to bnc cable connected to it.   I think it's just a great system -  By the way, like you, I also own the SLI-80 (but with the F1 modifications) but it's been boxed up since the day I bought it - one day, if I ever have more room, I will finally set it up.

What country are you located in?  

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 12
cool - i used to be a radio officer in alaska, and my old boss, who sadly died a few years ago - the chief mate - was from stavanga.  one of the nicest guys i ever knew, bar none!   norway and scandanavia are one of the few places in europe i've never been to, ... yet :) 

tak!!!

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 12
I'm the one who should say "takk", you helping out on the Xciter stuff :) You should say "Værsågod" (wearsawgoo - you're welcome)

Sorry about you friend. Hope you make it here one day :)

Quote:
cool - i used to be a radio officer in alaska, and my old boss, who sadly died a few years ago - the chief mate - was from stavanga.  one of the nicest guys i ever knew, bar none!   norway and scandanavia are one of the few places in europe i've never been to, ... yet :) 

tak!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back