Solid State or Hybrid Amp for Denon D2000?
Dec 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

K3cT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

I'm looking for a desktop amp to compliment my system. Right now I'm driving my recabled D2000 w/ D5000 cables with a Zero with Moon HDAM in the DAC section and LT1364 in the amplifier. Overall I like the presentation but based on the last mini-meet, an amp really brings the music to another level so here I am. I have a budget of $400 top.

As for sound characteristics, I'm looking for a neutral with a warm touch and slightly laid-back signature. My ears are very sensitive to sibilance so an overly bright sound is definitely not for me. Mids are also very important to me as I listen to a lot of female vocals and this is the area where I feel that my D2000 could be improved.

So, based on my research here, it seems that I should avoid the tube route as it would make the D2000 too dark and bassy so I suppose SS or hybrid is the way to go. Therefore, I've shortlisted the following models:

1. Head-Direct EF1 (hybrid)
2. Audio-gd C2C (SS)
3. Little Dot I+ w/ tube and op-amp upgrades (hybrid)
4. Millet Starving Student (hybrid)

Which one do you think would complement the D2000 best in my system?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 19
The sound characteristics you describe are spot on with the Head Direct EF1, it's a hybrid amp, a step or two above the Little Dot.

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 19
The EF1 is so nice, and I think it suits your needs nicely. I think it was Skylab that did a review of it where he tested it with the D2000 or D5000, and as I recalled he liked what he heard (do not lynch me if I am wrong). Anyways the EF1 is quite a beast it powers lots of cans with great results. Here is a link for my review: techPowerUp :: Head-Direct EF1 Hybrid Headphone Amp Review :: Page 1 / 5

Sorry about the picture quality my DSLR was away for repairs.

Dec 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 19
Although I haven't personally heard any of the amps that you have listed in your post, in general I really really like hybrid headamps (tube input/solid state output), and if I were in the market for a new headamp that's the direction I would go.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 19
I have not heard the amps in your post, but i've read others listening impressions, I think the EF1 betters the Novo, slightly. And betters the Little Dot for sure, the C2C may be better, but my guess is they are close, hard to say, the C2C impressions have been very good.

Dec 27, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Now while I research more about the EF1, how does it compare to the amps I mentioned in my first post?

I think the EF1 is slightly better than the NOVO, and I reviewed both here on head-fi. It has a little bit more impact or body, while the NOVO seems a little more lighter and nimble. They both have good power, but the EF1 mids are a little richer and the NOVO is a little thinner. Neither one has quite as big of a soundstage as my Woo WA6 maxed with PDPSU and Sophia Princess rectifier, but these cost 1/3 as much too!

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 19
So I guess the Novo is ruled out for now since the EF1 seems to synergize better with the D2000.

I also encountered the Millet Starving Student Hybrid which is priced very attractively. How does it compare with the EF1? Is the EF1 worth the $200 price jump? Now if only the $100 price cut can stay permanently because I simply don't have the money to purchase an amplifier now.
frown.gif

The Little Dot I+ is also around the same price as the Millet once upgrades to 408A tubes and op-amp to OPA627 or LT1364 is considered. How does this model fare with the Millet?

Thanks for everyone who has chipped in their opinions so far.
icon10.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 19
The starving student is great, especially with vintage Grado PS-1, but otherwise I still prefer the EF-1 a little more. It is quieter with better volume control for very sensitive headphones too.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 19
All right. The EF1 is almost double the cost of the Millet so I expect it to be a lot better of course. I'm praying the discount is permanent so I can buy it sooner.
frown.gif

It would be nice to see how the Millet compare with the LD I+ since they are priced about the same.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... It is quieter with better volume control for very sensitive headphones too.

Larry, you must have a newer unit than mine. If I have a complaint w/ the EF1 is the volume control. Even w/ the volume at Zero I get music through my headphones. By the time I have been able to equalize both sides the sound is a bit loud w/ my RS-1. As I recall from discussing this issue w/ other initial owners the volume pot issue was the norm.

Overall a very enjoyable and nice sounding unit. I can see where some may prefer it over the Novo but it may not be the case for all.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, you must have a newer unit than mine. If I have a complaint w/ the EF1 is the volume control. Even w/ the volume at Zero I get music through my headphones. By the time I have been able to equalize both sides the sound is a bit loud w/ my RS-1. As I recall from discussing this issue w/ other initial owners the volume pot issue was the norm.

Overall a very enjoyable and nice sounding unit. I can see where some may prefer it over the Novo but it may not be the case for all.

I am just saying the EF1 volume is better than my rds kit Millett Starving Student, not saying it's volume control is as good as other amps. I was only wanting to address the 2 amps on his list that I have actually heard, not introducing new ones that he didn't ask about, but that is hard to do. MikeW brought up the NOVO so I mentioned it. The volume issue was in relative terms between EF1 and MSSH which I have. I'll go back an listen again when I am back home later in the week.

I also have one of the early ones with the soldered in opamp, not the socketed one. The NOVO might have a better volume control, I don't recall without looking for my notes. The best volume controls I have found is in my Meier HeadFive, Headroom Micro Amp and RSA Predator.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have the Novo and EF1, I'm interested in your view of both units if you don't mind.

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #14 of 19
I hear the headamp AE-2 is a good complement to the d2000. Have you heard the same thing?

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 19
I would actually prefer a desktop solution for now.
biggrin.gif

The LD I+ is really tempting me right now with its low price because I can get it sooner as opposed to waiting an additional month or two for the Head-Direct EF1. Argh, so confused!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back