Solid state drives vs hdd drives
Dec 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ekul61

500+ Head-Fier
Wanting to move to a smaller laptop to play ripped flac files thru a external dac and amp. . Does a solid state drive sound the same as hdd drive?
Thx for your time.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 19
A mechanical hard disk drive makes noise due to the spinning platter and moving arm. A SSD has no moving parts and does not make any noise. The HDD is worse due to the added ambient noise. That may or may not be noticeable. As for the playback of audio from the drive, there is no difference except maybe a millisecond delay when you select a track.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 19
A mechanical hard disk drive makes noise due to the spinning platter and moving arm. A SSD has no moving parts and does not make any noise. The HDD is worse due to the added ambient noise. That may or may not be noticeable. As for the playback of audio from the drive, there is no difference except maybe a millisecond delay when you select a track.
Thx . Im thinking the ss with the reduced boot up time could be a tad better.

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Thx . Im thinking the ss with the reduced boot up time could be a tad better.

I really like having an SSD drive as the boot drive, makes most programs (& boot times) start up faster :)

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 19
Wanting to move to a smaller laptop to play ripped flac files thru a external dac and amp. . Does a solid state drive sound the same as hdd drive?

Sound will be the same. HDD just has mechanical noise when it reads so it noticeably adds to ambient noise unless it's near the same frequency as the sound from the computer's cooling system. If you're using it on a server in another room you likely won't hear it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 19
Always try to match the read/write speeds on the SSD if you go that route. You want the read and write speeds to be as high as you can afford and for them to be as close to each other as possible. If you ever go two or more SSD's the order matters as to which is plugged into which port.

Like others have said once you go SSD you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Jan 1, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 19
Thx for your time.
I ended up going with a smaller laptop with SSD/connected external for music. That is the laptop ONLY function. All other programs or uses are done on an older HP laptop.

Bern

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 19
At risk of being a jerk- huh?! What year is this?!

You almost can't buy a notebook computer these days without getting a SSD and if you opt for one with a HDD, you'll get a lot more storage for your dollar but who uses a notebook as a storage repository, anyway? That's what the cloud is for, or at least, an external HDD.

This brings me to the question of what you want to play, though- FLAC files. Where are they gonna be stored? On the notebook itself?

More context would be good.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 19
Always try to match the read/write speeds on the SSD if you go that route. You want the read and write speeds to be as high as you can afford and for them to be as close to each other as possible. If you ever go two or more SSD's the order matters as to which is plugged into which port.

Like others have said once you go SSD you'll wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
In all my years I’ve never heard this advice. Why does it matter so much? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back