Solid and neutral-sounding headphones under 100
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rafaelcor

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I want to buy headphones under 100 and I would like to know if exists some headphones under 100 with a solid construction, solid joints, removable cable and removable pads with a neutral sound signature, mainly for listening classical.

Thanks,

Rafael Cordano

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 11
Sure, I meant the sound quality of your devices. K240 Studio is detailed and a little bright, with a decent soundstage, and excellent midrange, and it can be used without an amp in my opinion. It's also comparatively inexpensive. They're not headphones you'll want to crank up and rock out with, the detail gets a bit much if you do that. They're studio headphones, where people want to hear details, but don't want to have to damage their hearing to do so, because it's critical to their avocation. They sound good at moderate volume in a quiet place. I have big ears, so I've slid a 11 15/16" length of 5/16 OD clear vinyl tubing under the cushion to get them a little off my ears. It cost 40 cents a foot. That's all I've done to them and they sound good to me. I'll keep the stock cord on though.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 11
You should take a look at the ATH-m40x's, they're highly regarded on this site for their value.
They also check all your boxes (very solid construction, removable cables and pads, flat, and are 99$ on Amazon.)

Definitely looks into these, along with the some of the other options.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 11
I've been experimenting with covering the round vents on the backs of the cups with electrical tape. Adds bass, actually. Taping up every other vent (4 of 8) seems flat to me, no effect I can tell as yet on imaging.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 11
So I did this mod. I didn't unsolder anything. I just unscrewed a side at a time, and carefully pulled the gold cylinder to ease the wires through the hole and not pull on them. I covered the arc shaped hole with a piece of electrical tape slid in from the side. Everything the guy says is true, very satisfying sounding headphone now. Tonally similar, but much smoother, better imaging too. (I took the tape off the vent holes on the back of the cups I had put on earlier.) Be sure to fit the two pegs into the two holes underneath when you put the gold cylinder back down.You should keep the pads and foam on throughout this procedure, there are more detailed instructions in the linked thread. Rock on :) .

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/k-240-monitor-to-df-modification.416858/page-3#post-9443827

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back