SOLD!: Paradisea+ Tube DAC (I have both USB and nonUSB versions)
Jul 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
I am definitely keeping one of these DACs.

Have to do some listening tests once the newer DAC is fully burnt in and will then put one of the two up for sale here.

This thread is just a preliminary post to get the word out early.

Here's some pics:

DAC_SELL_1.jpg

DAC_SELL_2.jpg

DAC_SELL_3.jpg

paradisea_pr0n1.jpg

dualdac.jpg

Anyway ...

I liked my original Paradisea v.1 (NONUSB) so much that I ordered the newer USB model direct from MHDT Labs, Paradisea v.2, to demo against.

So one or the other will be up for sale here in the next few weeks.

[size=large]Price Breakdown:[/size]
These are just prelim and are not set in stone.

If Paradisea v.1 (nonUSB): SOLD shipped

(The newer DAC set me back 600 bills and change so I figure 500 is fair)

This is a Grado owners dream DAC.

Utterly smooth and musical ... so non-fatiguing and fun. My RS1's have never sounded as fine. It's reviewed as and reported to be an exceptional DAC no matter the headphone or speaker setup ... but extra word should be mentioned regarding it's synergy with Grados (IMHO).

Very very nice pairing.

And if you have a decently resolving/clean amp in line with it ... you'll absolutely want to swap out the stock GE tube for something like a WE396A (a tad spendy but deals can be found). The tube choice dramatically affects sonics with this DAC.

The stock GE tube is not at all bad, especially with lower quality head amps, but if you have a highly resolving solid state head amp like a GS-1 or Stello HP100 ... then you'll definitely have luck experimenting with other tube options.

PM me if you want more impressions/thoughts on the DAC in general.

[size=small]Here's a couple reviews of the Paradisea:

[size=small]Review at Positive-Feedback.com

Review @ Enjoy the Music
[/size]

PM me with any interest and I'll hold the place in order of contact message.

Thanks for looking.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 11

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are some great deals, from a great head-fier!

Thanks.

But do mind folks that I will be selling ONE or the OTHER. This is not a "Pick which one you want" sort of interest check/upcoming sell.

One stays with me and one is going to be sold.

And I won't know which one I'm going to keep and which I'm going to sell until after next weekend.

Both fantastic ... and I can live without USB, so if the earlier model (with it's fat 2.2uf output caps) is even a hair's breadth better to my ear ... then I'll keep it.

More later!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 11

Aura

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Bump for a wonderful person (not just seller).

Some things are more important than just getting a great deal on an audio component, and no one knows this better than Joel.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 11

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
2 hours into the showdown.

It's Officially ON!

wink.gif

(and I just might lose my mind here in a bit)

duel1.jpg

They are both so good ...

I've been switching between them for going on 2.5 hours and it's just mind numbing.

Anyway ...

More later.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 11

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]Finally...[/size]

I listened all night (till the early AM, actually) and my estimate is that both DACs sound just as good as one another though with very very slight perceived differences.

That said ...

I've decided to simply hold on to the newer DAC, if only for the fact that it will be nice having USB capability. In all earnestness, and just speaking of pure pleasure in listening ... the v.1.0 DAC wins (but the differences, as you'll see below are just insanely slight).

The v.2.0 sways me with it's USB capability; even though I listen through digital coax, the USB could come in handy (for meets, when house sitting for folks, traveling with notebook computer, etc.).

Regarding the listening session...

The relative sound of both units is so close as to really not be worth quibbling over except in the most psychotic of ways (which can be fun too).
smily_headphones1.gif

My ballpark estimate:

(Both DACs were A/B'd while using identical OPA2604 OPAMPS and stock GE 5670 tubes.)

[size=small]v.1.0: [/size]
-------------------------

Slightly more involving and musical than the v.2.0 DAC ... tends to coax you into forgetting about the equipment or that your trying to be hyper critical of the same. Insanely good/tight/deep bass, best I've ever heard. Very liquid and smooth while still being more than adequately detailed. Very nice (believable) soundstage and imaging though a slightly narrower soundstage "effect" than the later model. This is the bit of gear which finally let my mind "click" on to what folks mean when they use words like "sweet," and "involving'" and "liquid."

[size=small]v.2.0:[/size]
-------------------------

Not quite as smooth as the v.1.0 DAC but also a tad more transparent and detailed (nit picky mode). As with v.1.0, insanely good bass, just as present but maybe not quite as deep and extended as v.1.0. This might have something to do with the larger output caps on the early version DAC. Soundstage "effect" is a tad more impressive than v.1.0 ... pulls off the "wow" factor nicely. This isn't at all to be considered a criticism of the earlier DAC, just a personal observation. Overall, it's a thinner sounding DAC than the v.1.0 unit, which somewhat vexes me, but I'll acclimate I'm sure and once I get that other DAC out of my house.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, this newer DAC has just this weekend broke the 200 hour mark and may have a bit more refining to do.

All things considered?

Both are absolutely amazing DACs to my ear.

If I could afford it, I would absolutely keep them both.

I have a couple of pending offers on the Paradisea v.1.0 and so will not be posting an official for sale thread until those are ironed out/decided upon. I'll know by weeks end.

Thanks for looking.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 11

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]The remaining Paradisea v.1.0 has been sold to a local Houston head-fier![/size]

I loaned it to my roommate as I was acclimating to the newer version and seems he's not willing to give it back! (funny)

So as of this week, he's the lucky new owner (and curses!!!) the bloody thing is still going to be in my house!
wink.gif

Anyway ...

Thanks to the few who PM'd me with ongoing interest.

Best.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread