SOLD OUT: Sennheiser HD 25 (aka HD25-1, HD25, HD-25) for $131.19 + Shipping/Tax
May 26, 2007 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

PeterDLai

Headphoneus Supremus
UPDATE: As of May 29, 2007, they are all sold out now. It says "Temporarily Out of Stock," but I believe that's the last eCOST is going to sell them since they were in their Closeout section. The link at the bottom is actually now broken.

There's good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news...
  • The store selling it at this price is eCOST... doesn't have a good reputation for good customer service.
  • I got taxed because I live in California (I suppose that's just bad news for me
    tongue.gif
    ).
  • If you purchase now, it probably won't ship until Tuesday (Memorial Day weekend).
  • The information is somewhat wrong because the Description part of it is for the HD 25, it appears the Features list is for the HD 25 SP, and the Specifications are for the HD 25 again. 2/3 in favor of the HD 25, I hope they're not the SP version. I speculate that they can't be because these are listed under the "Closeout" section and I don't think they would charge $131.19 in a Closeout for HD 25 SP, especially since you can get them for cheaper almost anywhere else.
  • Not as good as the Etronics deal a while back.
  • Competitors won't price match it because they say that the price is below their actual cost (I tried some reputable online stores).
  • They're all sold out now.

The good news...
  • The manufacturer part # is "HD25", without the SP. The picture is also for the correct model (with dual headband). So hopefully the fact that the Features (the "65 .nominal impedance" part, this is not the SP model's impedance either) is just a small error on the information.
  • If you are new to Google Checkout, you can take another $10 discount off of the price (as long as you order through its system).
  • There's a good chance you won't be taxed!
  • I ordered today and already got notification of shipment via DHL Ground.
  • My total came out to $141.46 shipped, which is almost $40 less than the lowest price I can find elsewhere on the web ($179.99 shipped from B&H). I'm estimating that depending on where you live, the total shipped price can get down to around $130.
  • They're in the Closeout section and there is no mention anywhere of them being refurbished, open-box, etc. These are not listed in those sections on the site either.
  • Assuming that everything goes smoothly, you won't have to contact their supposed "horrid" customer service and you'll have saved a lot.

Good luck Head-Fiers and may the force be with you (and your wallet)!

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=2768065

May 26, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 33
hmm...good deal if they are not the SP's!

weird, I can't find HD25 or HD25-1 on Senn's site.

May 26, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 33
WHOA...I did find HD25-1 II's!..when did these get released?

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/502188

Code:

Code:
[left]HD 25-1 II Article No. 502188 General Description The closed-back HD 25-1 IIs are purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offering high attenuation of background noise. Capable of handling very high sound pressure levels and of extremely robust construction, these headphones perform exceptionally well in high-noise environments, e.g. ENG, sound reinforcement, studio monitoring and audio equipment testing. The capsule is rotatable for one-ear listening. Ideal monitoring headphones for cameramen and DJs. Features Very lightweight and comfortable, even if used for long periods High maximum sound pressure level 65 .nominal impedance for universal compatibility Tough, detachable steel cable Neodymium ferrous magnet systems and lightweight aluminium/copper voice Delivery Includes 1 HD 25-1 II 1 Bag Soft ear pads (1 pair) 1 adaptor to ¼” (6.3 mm) stereo jack plug Technical Data Nominal impedance70 Ohm Load rating0.2 W Contact pressureca. 2.5 N Weight w/o cableca. 140 g Jack plug3,5/6,3 mm stereo Transducer principledynamic, closed Ear couplingsupraaural Cable length1,5 m Sound pressure level (SPL)120 dB(SPL) THD, total harmonic distortion< 0,3 % Frequency response (headphones)16.....22000 Hz[/left]

May 26, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHOA...I did find HD25-1 II's!..when did these get released?

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/502188

Code:

Code:
[left]HD 25-1 II Article No. 502188 General Description The closed-back HD 25-1 IIs are purpose-designed, professional monitoring headphones offering high attenuation of background noise. Capable of handling very high sound pressure levels and of extremely robust construction, these headphones perform exceptionally well in high-noise environments, e.g. ENG, sound reinforcement, studio monitoring and audio equipment testing. The capsule is rotatable for one-ear listening. Ideal monitoring headphones for cameramen and DJs. Features Very lightweight and comfortable, even if used for long periods High maximum sound pressure level [b]65 .nominal impedance for universal compatibility[/b] Tough, detachable steel cable Neodymium ferrous magnet systems and lightweight aluminium/copper voice Delivery Includes 1 HD 25-1 II 1 Bag Soft ear pads (1 pair) 1 adaptor to ¼” (6.3 mm) stereo jack plug Technical Data Nominal impedance[b]70 Ohm[/b] Load rating0.2 W Contact pressureca. 2.5 N Weight w/o cableca. 140 g Jack plug3,5/6,3 mm stereo Transducer principledynamic, closed Ear couplingsupraaural Cable length1,5 m Sound pressure level (SPL)120 dB(SPL) THD, total harmonic distortion< 0,3 % Frequency response (headphones)16.....22000 Hz[/left]

Now that's interesting. Even Sennheiser's own website screwed up on the information.

These popped up recently in the appreciation thread here. Sennheiser has this on that page if you click on Variant on the right:

HD 25 II 502105
as HD 25-1 II, but with 2m steel cable, straight jack plug

HD 25-C II 502104
as HD 25-1 II, but with 3m coiled cable, straight jack plug

HD 25-13 II 502102
as HD 25-1 II, but with 600 ohm impedance, 3m steel cable, straight jack plug

Now I have a good feeling that I am indeed getting a pair of HD 25, not HD 25 SP. Thanks!

May 26, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 33
Uh actually correction on my first post... the SP's nominal impedance is actually 85 Ohms, not 65. I have no idea where the 65 is supposed to belong now!

It appears that several other stores made the same error in their descriptions, so I'm guessing Sennheiser screwed up somewhere and it had an domino effect.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone explained this a while back..
The II has velour earpads and something i can't remember

Velour earpads and different cable lengths/types apparently (with different termination style: straight jack plug). And maybe even a pouch. Haha.

May 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 33
3 left!

Also, if you are an aspiring DJ, consider these, because apparently a lot of DJ's regard these as one of the best for DJ'ing. It got DJ Mag's top DJ Headphone last year:

Code:

Code:
[left][font=Verdana][size=medium][b]Winner: Sennheiser HD25[/b][/size][/font] [font=Verdana][size=x-small][b]17. DJ Headphones[/b][/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=x-small]The latest incarnation of the HD25 has proved popular with our readers taking first place with Technics in close second. Eserin: "The HD25s have a split headband design for a unique fit and pump out a really loud clear sound from their tight fitting small ear cups. “Every last bit is replaceable, which makes good sense considering the abuse us DJs subject our cans to. One of the best things about them is the small size, whereas so many others are just far too huge."[/size][/font][/left]

I'm thinking that this is only eCOST's doing. eCOST tends to do these kind of closeout/clearance sales a lot (kind of like Etronics), and I don't think many (or any) other retailers are going to follow for a while at least. They still haven't really replaced the design and I'm sure some people would still buy them at their retail price (or a little less, as B&H sells them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back