Sold My GS1000's ...now what?
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lornecherry

100+ Head-Fier
On the spur of the moment, and because the price was right, I sold my GS1000s. The Grados were relegated to my secondary rig, as they fell apart on loud, complex passages, even with a heavily modded SinglePower MXP-3 and Chord DAC64 in front of them. They were extremely comfortable and reasonable on low volume ... but were far short of my expectations.

No matter what I tried, the GS1000s never approached the league of the Stax sound that I like so much. Don't get me wrong, I thought that my fomer RS-1s were very lively and engaging - sadly those went missing when I moved two year ago.

So do I give up on dynamics? ...and just get a second pair of used Stax or perhaps a Woo Electrostatic amp fpr my main rig and relegate the SRM-T1 to the secondary system?

I can spend up to $1500 or so on the phones...(the amp I'll leave out of the equation for now) ...and I'm considering building a new digital source system based on either the Wadia iTransport, or a the new Empirical Off-Ramp paired to a decent DAC. So for phones, my choices are as follows.

Used Stax O2's, Lambda Sigs, new 404s, Ultasone Ed 9s (never heard ED 9 yet), RS-1s or Denon 7000 or??? (I'll try and keep my mind open to dynamics as well as Stats) But for some reason, I'm thinking that it may be hard to approach the performance/value the Stax 404s, or benchmark sound of the 02's.

Please keep in mind that a BHSE or any other $4K+ amp is somewhat out of the budget ...the WOO maxed GES or any other $2K amp is about as high as I'd go.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, since you already like the Stax sound, I think that trying to find used O2s is probably your best bet.

You might consider trying the 404s, though. Last time I corresponded with Elusive Disc, they seemed to be pretty reasonable with their return policies, so you could probably order from them and then return the 404s if you don't like them.

Oct 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Woot! 100 posts!

Where's my cookie?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back