Shipping Destinations
  1. North America
Or Best Offer
Yes
Jun 19, 2020 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
SOLD

For sale is an excellent sounding pair of Dan Clark's flagship Ether 2 headphones, $1,400, available only because I'm finally moving to a Raal system. I bought these headphones last year from another head-fier who owned them for two weeks (whereupon he took the plunge for Stax SR-009 electrostatics). They have the original (not perforated) ear pads and come with the DUM headphone cables (also Dan's flagship cable, designed at the same time for pairing with the Ether 2s). In addition I have (will include, red in the photo) a set that I like better, but I'd not say there is a night and day difference. In fact another head-fier likes the original cables better, it's just a matter of taste and the type of music you're listening to at the time. With either cable, and with two different amplifiers, other than a few pairs I've listened to in the $3,500 to $4,500 range I've not heard any headphone I've enjoyed more.

I've always liked electrostatic/planer two-channel speakers (Magnapan, Martin-Logan), and thus my love for planer magnetic headphones. The Ether 2s present a nice soundstage, and as you would expect from a flagship planer-magnetic are terrific with female vocals and jazz. In addition, I find them enjoyable all the way to (at least the Mutt Lange produced) AC/DC albums. I'd keep these as I haven't heard anything by Focal or Audeze (in this price range) that I like nearly as well - but I also have a pair of Oppo PM-1s and a less expensive pair of HiFi Man headphones, and I just don't need a third spare set of headphones!

In addition to their spectacular sound, at 290 grams the Ether2s are one of the more comfortable headphones I've ever worn; there is no sibilance and you can just sit and listen with these for hours.

I don't see a scratch or nick anything else wrong with the headphones, and they've been lightly used because (of time constraints, but also because) I developed tinnitus a couple of years ago so I listen at what most people would consider medium (at most) volumes. If your endgame budget is under $1,500 rather than over $3,000, then you will appreciate the presence and delicacy of the Ether 2s for a long time.

I'll ship the headphones in their original carrying case, carefully boxed, and shipped only within the continental US via (probably) FedEx, insured at buyers expense. I’ll ship within 24 hrs. of payment and provide buyer with tracking number. If you prefer one carrier over another I'm flexible.

I've been around here for a few years now and can provide a couple of references, I also have 100% feedback on ebay.

Thanks, and here is just one review excerpt, most of them read this way though:

Innerfidelity
To me, this is one kick-butt headphone. The frequency response is just about spot on perfect. Compared to the Aeon, the upper midrange is a bit cleaner and less shouty, the mids a bit more full, especially in the lower midrange, with a bit more bass presence and dynamics than the Aeon and a super smooth treble response that is neither bright nor warm, but exceptionally balanced. The mids are silky without being too forward or too warm... I was most surprised by the sense of imaging however. This is one of the only headphones that feels like it has a real sense of soundstage and clarity to me without being harsh. The image it throws is distinctly in the forward-ish location in relationship to my eyeballs, and remarkably tangible... My conclusion after extensive listening was that you don’t need to spend a huge amount on amplification to get great sound out of the Ether 2. A big plus for the less well-heeled among us who might aspire to own this headphone, but balk at the multi-thousand dollar amplifiers often paired with it at shows and in Summit-Fi recommendations.

SEE ALSO my post for Pass Labs HPA-1 headphone amplifier for sale here under separate listing; if you want both items I'm willing to talk about pricing. The two make a terrific pairing, and barring a headphone like the HE-6 the HPA-1 will work very well with any other headphones you already own..

Photos below, I think they are all thumbnails and can be enlarged:

Ether 2s with cables - with border.jpg

Ether 2s - left side.jpg

Ether 2 - right side.jpg

Of course the case never gets used. While the headphones are "like new", the case really is like new.

Ether 2s with case.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 4

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
SOLD

Bump, reasonable offers considered.

Until you get to $3500 (list) headphones, especially of you like the speed and openness of planers, the Ether 2s are some of the more enjoyable cans made.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 4

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry, didn't see your question until just now. I sold these last summer.

Users who are viewing this thread