Sold: Little Dot MKIII with 38 Tubes!
Oct 5, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
For Sale, Little Dot MK III amplifier and tubes. This is a great starter amp if you want to get into tubes, plus plenty of glass to have fun with for at least a year before the novelty wears off.

$325 including all shipping and handling fees, shipped within the United States. Other arrangements can be made for shipments outside of the CONUS but buyer pays for shipping, tracking and insurance.

The amp was $250 including shipping and the total cost of the tubes was about $330 for a total of $580. For the total package, $325 including shipping and any applicable fees seems like a reasonable price to me.

Purchased in January 2009. Amp has less than 200 hours of use. It's barely broken in.

Includes original box and bill of lading. I have the original plastic bag of accessories but it is opened and I am missing the jumpers. I have the adaptor and RCA cable. The jumpers are not used with this model. I guess they were included because the accessory pack already included them.

I have a lifetime supply of tubes for the amp. Some are "high end" purchased from well known sellers such as Tube World and Yen. Others are eBay specials that I got for very litttle money. Some are matched pairs and others are not.

Please be aware that I can make no guarantees about the tubes. If I say it is NOS or a matched pair I am taking the word of the original seller as I have no way of testing. Also, NOS means new when I bought them but of course they are not new anymore. However, since the amp doesn't even have 200 hours on it yet, obviously these tubes are all barely used. No tube has more than 60hours on it. Most tubes are not even burned in.

Matched Tubes:

Matched pair NOS 1957 Tung Sol 6AK5W
Matched pair NOS 1980 Mullard CV4010
Matched pair NOS 1958 Mullard EF95
Matched pair NOS Mullard EF92 (date unknown)
Matched pair NOS 1952 Raytheon 6AK5W
Matched pair NOS 1981 Voshod 6J1P-EV/6AK5

I've also got some interesting unmatched tubes with limited background information. Although most were sold together the seller made no claims about them being matched. However, I have tended to use them in pairs anyway.

6 Western Electric 403B estimated to be from the 1950s.
2 Amperex 5654
8 Amalgamated Wireless
1 GE 5654
1 Motorola 6AK5 (I used this with the GE above)
1 RCA 5654
1 RCA 6AK5 (I used the two RCAs together)

I also have a pair of Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi power tubes. Supposedly the version of the amp that I have has the correct resistors to be able to run these tubes. I ran them for about 50 hours with no problem. However, it did make the amp run considerably hotter and although I think they made the sound fuller, with more gain, I got nervous about running them too much. I would not let those tubes run in the amp for more than a couple of hours.

I also have the original driver and power tubes bringing the total to 38.

I am not currently willing to sell tubes separately at this point.

Due to work constraints, I can only ship on Saturdays, especially heavier items. Please bear that in mind when considering your purchase.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 9

erikzen

100% THD and S/N = 0
Now for sale.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 9

erikzen

100% THD and S/N = 0
I made some room in my mailbox. Keep in mind I am still not interested in splitting the package up. When and if I decide to seel tubes and amp separately, I will post in this thread.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 9

erikzen

100% THD and S/N = 0
I kept a log of the tubes I bought in a spreadsheet. It lists more details about the tubes, including my purchase price and any details I could get from the dealers or from my observations. I tried to attach it here but you can't attach an Exel file. If you are interested in seeing it I can email it to you.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 9

erikzen

100% THD and S/N = 0
Sold!

Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread