Type
For Sale
Price
Shipping Destinations
  1. North America
Jun 7, 2020 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

highstream

100+ Head-Fier
SOLD: KR Audio RK Anniversary 5U4G rectifier tube. This tube was initially offered by Lampizator as a special limited edition for users of its dacs, and sold out quickly. It is extremely musical and quiet. It was used briefly in a Lampizator Golden Gate dac and then burnedin in a Lampi Atlantic TRP dac, for a total of about 375 hours (I keep a log). It has a 6 to 10 year lifetime and according to Lampi not one has failed yet, so rest assured it has only begun to see its life and full potential. This is a highly regarded rectifier: transparent, PRAT galore, open, great clear bass, neutral, spacious, "live.”

I guarantee it works properly. See my feedback here, Audiomart, Audio Asylum, Audiogon and eBay (genegold99)

User Reviews:
- https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...tube-rolling-review-thread.26478/#post-538609 (post 8)

- "I have to say that the Kron RK 5u4g is a killer rectifier. Outside of the uber expensive Takatsuki and vintage Western Electric, this for me is the TOP recti out there. I use it in a Lampizator Dac." See post 1721 at
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/page-115

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 7

Crashem

500+ Head-Fier
I use this rectifier. I have most of the top end 5U4G type rectifiers and this one is definitely in the mix and worth auditioning.

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 7

TontNZ

Head-Fier
I use this rectifier. I have most of the top end 5U4G type rectifiers and this one is definitely in the mix and worth auditioning.

I have a WA5-LE and I've just purchased a pair of the KR Audio 300B RK Limited Series. But I've never tried any true 5U4G's in it and was considering a pair of their (KR's) 5U4G's (again the RK Limited Series). I've mostly use Sophia 274B's (the so called mesh plate) and I also have Mullard UK GZ33's and USAF-596's.

I was wondering what you actually think of this version and have you tried KR's standard 274B? And how does the KR stack up against the EML 274B (true mesh!) or the EML 5U4G?

Cheers - Peter

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 7

highstream

100+ Head-Fier
While system synergy is a factor, at heart it's ultimately about what you listen to, to put it bluntly, the music or the hardware. The KR 5U4G RK Anniversary is more for the latter type. One user's notes read, "linear, good bass, flatter than others but good detail retrieval. Most ss-sounding of the bunch." His "bunch" for this testing included the Psvane Acme 274B, Philco 1948 5U4G, Takatsuki 274B and Shuguang GZ480 (not currently available) and the context was coming up with a preferred recti to use with a pair of Tesla EL51s in a Lampi Atlantic TRP.* I would add "cool" or "neutral" to his description of the KR RK. Not for me, which is why I sold it. I think either the Psvane Acme 274B or Dubstep Girl's updated list (post 1758) is a good place to start. Some people on that thread expressed preference for the RCA CAN-JAN 5U4G over the WE422A, which they found fatiguing. I can attest that the RCA is an excellent tube, but a little cool for my tastes. The ones I have are the Shuguang WE274B replica, USAF 596 (with adapter), GEC U52, Mullard GZ32, GEC U50, RCA CRC-JAN 5U4G. Currently burning in a pair of Fivre 5U4GB's. May be looking to sell some of the others, none of which have a lot of hours and are all very good tubes.

* https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lampizator-golden-atlantic-trp.27809/page-48 (post 946).

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 7

TontNZ

Head-Fier
Appreciate the time you've taken to give a considered reply. I'm more about the music, but with a technological interest in the gear. After all, that is why a most head-fi'ers are here - the continual hamster wheel of the next upgrade! I've looked at Dubstep Girl's post in the past, but I'll check the updates. As with all things, it's about personal preferences and the overall synergy of whatever your using to listen to music. I'm limited in what I can get to listen to, I frequently have to buy rather than borrow and retirement is making the buying that much more difficult. So I'm try to establish some base lines of what others like with components that match mine and then calibrate against that. My system is not normally in a state of flux, once I like what the last changes are doing it stays that way for 12-18 months, then I become a hamster again.

With my Woo Audio amp I always need pairs, but the sellers need to be prepared to ship to New Zealand!

Thanks again

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 7

highstream

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an Aussie to send to me a cable in the States, and that definitely wasn't what he was planning. I don't listen to head phones, and know that's a different world sonically. I don't know how what one hears through regular speakers with this tube or that compares to how it works through a headset. And you're probably correct that with a headset it's the music, unlike with speakers where there are really two different kinds of listeners, broadly speaking, that are very different in their equipment choices. I've found that beyond what I can download and what's in my mostly pre-2000 CD collection, the local library has some good choices.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 7

TontNZ

Head-Fier
I just got an Aussie to send to me a cable in the States, and that definitely wasn't what he was planning. I don't listen to head phones, and know that's a different world sonically. I don't know how what one hears through regular speakers with this tube or that compares to how it works through a headset. And you're probably correct that with a headset it's the music, unlike with speakers where there are really two different kinds of listeners, broadly speaking, that are very different in their equipment choices. I've found that beyond what I can download and what's in my mostly pre-2000 CD collection, the local library has some good choices.
In New Zealand we have our own auction website, EBay never caught on for local sales. Your can buy large CD collections for cents on the dollar! Even though I both grew up with vinyl and worked for a record company (on the manufacturing side), when CD's came along I couldn't dump my vinyl fast enough!! Hated it, even though I got my pick of the pressings (there was no real audiophile manufacturing at that time), pops, clicks, washing records, keeping dust off of statics magnets, turn table setup, not for me. I love living in the digital age. I get the best of both worlds, all digital front end, all tube back end. Love it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread