*SOLD* FS: Alien DAC w/top components: SOLD shipped
Nov 1, 2008 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joe_seattle

Head-Fier
*SOLD*

PRICE DROP TO $100

For sale is a very nice USB Alien DAC built by FallenAngel and bought by me three weeks ago. I would like $100 by PayPal only, which will include shipping within the
US only.

This DAC sounds terrific – here is how FallenAngel described it: “it's a fairly nice build, Panasonic FM main PSU cap, Elna Silmic II regulator caps and some very sweet AuriCap 1.0uF outputs with Teflon RCAs.” I wanted to try a high-grade Alien DAC build (meaning best parts I could get) to see if the whole computer to DAC to amp thing is for me. I may try computer audio again, but for now my ten year old Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player (originally priced at $1200 in 1997) sounds better than the Alien DAC. For perspective, I would say that the S7000, to my ears, is about 99% perfect and that the Alien DAC is, by direct comparison only, 90% perfect. This Alien DAC has a warmish midrange, and excellent detail and texture without being bright or analytical – a pretty remarkable combo in my book. It has ever-so-slightly less instrument separation than the S7000, but the mids are a tad more forward. I have listened to it paired with a Darkvoice 336i amp and Senn HD600 phones with Cardas cable. The DAC is quite responsive and lightning quick – a quality I found difficult to describe fully. It reminds me of the AKG K340: how it can be laid-back and fast at the same time, never straining. I would think that this DAC might be better matched, because of the slight warmth, to a cooler-sounding amp or to phones like Grado or some AKG.

Sorry if this all reads more like a review than an ad, but I figure with a DIY product some reference is valuable since it’s a unique device. If I didn’t have the S7000, I would be quite happy with this DAC since it delivers far better sound than other CD players or iPod solutions I have tried. As seen in the pictures, it is small and portable, and also quite lightweight. Please email me any questions. Thanks!

Alien2.jpg

Alien1.jpg

Alien6.jpg

Alien3.jpg

Alien4.jpg

Alien5.jpg

Alien.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread