SOLD: Etymotic ER4S (worldwide)
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to sell my pair of Etymotic ER4S. These have just been replaced by Etymotic customer service few days ago, and as such are basically new, and in perfect condition. Condition is usually a critical issue with used ER4, since often, being many of them years old, the drivers tend to sound imbalanced. In fact, I had this problem with the original used pair of Etys, for which I sent them to customer service (they charge 85usd for such a replacement), getting back a new pair of earphones with, obviously, new serial numbers.

I am selling them since I want to try a pair of Westone UM3X (see other thread).

The Etys come with new, unused triflanges, but not the box nor other tools. I am selling them for SOLD Euros shipped in Europe/SOLD$ shipped outside Europe. Buyer pays paypal fees, or they can decide to make a "gift" personal payment. Your call.

Thanks for looking,
Tony

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 10

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
A fellow asked me how to ensure if their Etys present any imbalances, or they were imagining it. As I have brought the point in this thread, and other people might be worried about their used Etys presenting any problem, I will paste my reply here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony
Hello,

You can try the following things:
-there is an interesting hearing test somewhere on internet. If you google something like "equal loudness" or "equal loudness hearing test" it will show up. It's made frequency by frequency and, as such, pretty useful. Use a moderate volume and check for imbalances.
Imbalances, anyway, might not be on the driver alone, but can also be caused by your ear canal shape (or in a potentially worse cases, by hearing). Ear canal shape and differences in fit can play some role, for example, in sibilance imbalances, even if you are having a good seal. To check this, try to swap ears for each driver and repeat the worrysome frequencies. Hearing might also play a role in perceived imbalanced, and not necessary for permanent losses, but also for colds, influenza's and such. Those temporary hearing affections can cause perceived imbalances, especially with IEMs which are so close to the ear canals and bypass the outer ear.

Some slight imbalances (especially if only detectable by tone tests) are not worrysome and can be related to driver/ear canal interface. But if you feel there are stuff like imbalanced sibilance, or a noticeable bass imbalance, and are to be related to the driver itself, those are certainly going to be bothersome, and maybe a new ER4S would cause you less troubles.

All the best,
Tony

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 10

tooch

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/125$ shipped outside Europe. Buyer pays paypal fees, or they can decide to make a "gift" personal payment. Your call.

Thanks for looking,
Tony

Hi Tony, is that 125 Euro or 125USD? The dollar symbol confused me
smily_headphones1.gif

-Simon

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 10

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey, it's dollars
smily_headphones1.gif

Basically the different quotes are just for clarity, and the price is pretty much the same since the package shouldn't weight too much (only few bucks of difference for shipping).

Users who are viewing this thread