[SOLD] Buffalo-III 8-channel DAC project - fully loaded!
Currency
Euro
Price
Shipping Destinations
  1. Europe
Dec 18, 2019 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Takaji

100+ Head-Fier
I'm selling a fully-loaded Buffalo-III 8-channel DAC project that I've never had the time to finish. I moved and subsequently no longer had the time to work on it.

The idea behind the original project was to build a DAC that could accept a variety of digital inputs, and then output sound via stereo or 8-channel operation. I was big into surround sound which is why I wanted to create a device that could handle 8-channel operation. An Arduino with HiFiDUINO firmware would control the DAC so you could switch inputs and change settings. The kit comes with a Hi-Fi 2000 Italy Slim Line case, and some test panels I made on a laser cutter.

All the wiring has been completed on the internals (save the wiring of the audio between the DAC and the input boards), saving you a lot of time. Believe me, it took a lot of *my* time!

The kit includes the following:
Buffalo-III DAC (includes 8-channel mode)
5x Twisted Pear Audio IVY-III I/V Stage (one board to handle stereo operation, another four boards for 8-channel operation)
exaU2I-Multichannel 384 kHz/32bit Asynchronous USB to I2S Interface
Corcom PE0SXDS6B Power Entry Module
AMB Laboratories ε24 power switch driver circuit
AMB Laboratoies σ24 transformer board
Power Relay
Hammond 185D20 Transformer
Hammond 185D36 Transformer
AMB Laboratories σ22 regulated power supply (dual rail, tracking)
AMB Laboratories σ11 regulated power supply (single rail)
Custom 2-8 channel relay switcher (schematics included)
Twisted Pear Audio S/PDIF input module

It also includes the following connectors:
8x RCA Neutrik jacks
8x Neutrik XLR jacks
Neutrik USB input
AES/EBU Neutrik XLR input
S/PDIF Neutrik BNC input
TOSLINK input

And the following case and accessories:
Apple remote
Newhaven Display NHD-3.12-25664 LCD
Switchcraft MT332BX-1 1/4" audio jack
Numerous LEDs
Twisted Pear Audio 2-bit selector kit
Various high-quality knobs - plastic, backlit, metal
Red, green, blue, black 22 AWG teflon-coated silver wire
Molex headers, pins, connectors
Hi-Fi 2000 Italy Slim Line 02/350 10mm BLACK Front Panel - 3mm Aluminium Covers

E48zFDO.jpg

ri6HKT4.jpg

nDMy1rU.jpg

0cLNlb3.jpg

EEPlQ86.jpg

xmxldrx.jpg

I've calculated the cost of the boards and different larger parts at over 1400 Euro - this does not include the cost of op-amps, high-quality resistors, capacitors, connectors, wire, etc. which would likely bring the original value closer to 2000 Euro.

Asking price: SOLD for everything. Shipping price depends on where you live, but the item is located in Denmark so it would be easiest to ship to an EU buyer.

Please PM me if you need additional photos or clarification.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 8

besthiend

New Head-Fier
Your 8 channel dac project looks very interesting-are there any parts missing out of which there is a need to purchase,besides what you sell,in order to finalize this 8 channel dac ? If there are no missing parts,what is required in order to make a fully operating 8 channel dac to it's best performance ? What level would you consider this 8 channel dac-Hi End,Hi Fi or just a DIY 8 channel dac ? Have you ever made comparison to any existing Hi End 8 channel dac in the aspect of sound quality,performance ,level of excellence etc.....? if so-what were your
conclusions ? If not,based on your knowledge ,which Hi End 8 channel dac would you consider to be on par with your device ?

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 8

Takaji

100+ Head-Fier
Your 8 channel dac project looks very interesting-are there any parts missing out of which there is a need to purchase,besides what you sell,in order to finalize this 8 channel dac ? If there are no missing parts,what is required in order to make a fully operating 8 channel dac to it's best performance ? What level would you consider this 8 channel dac-Hi End,Hi Fi or just a DIY 8 channel dac ? Have you ever made comparison to any existing Hi End 8 channel dac in the aspect of sound quality,performance ,level of excellence etc.....? if so-what were your
conclusions ? If not,based on your knowledge ,which Hi End 8 channel dac would you consider to be on par with your device ?

The only things that I can think of that aren't included is the Arduino controller programmed with the HiFiDUINO firmware for easy DAC control. I believe there's also a simpler method of controlling the device using parts from Twisted Pear Audio. From what I can tell, there's nothing else missing - I'm even including the 120V version of the transformer for the σ24.

Unfortunately I can't say how this DAC compares to other devices, but I used high-quality parts throughout its entire construction - it was designed to compete with hi-fi (without going into snake oil territory) but it remains, ultimately, a DIY project that was really enjoyable to build.

If you're seriously interested in the project, I will gladly send you photos. Please let me know as I'll need to unpack it.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 8

besthiend

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I thought it's not relevant,but I was glad to hear from you -I actually need 220v and I'd like you to be more specific as to the country of origin of any of the parts of your project you are aware of whether Canadian,Chinese,German etc.... as well as links to whatever I need to make it fully operative with prices .For unknown reasons ,I couldn't find any 8 channel dac to be sold on Twisted pear Audio site ?! I'd appreciate if you could let me know what high quality parts you were using to build this dac.
I'd like to see photos from all angles possible externally and internally.

Thanks,
Erez

Users who are viewing this thread