SOLD: Audio-Technica ATH-W1000
Nov 10, 2008 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I'm changing my mind again (big surprise), so I've decided to go ahead and part with my W1000s. I'm gonna go for the W5000s and if they don't suit me like they did before, then I'm gonna probably go low end for a while.

These were bought from another user, mega, on here. They are in very good shape except for a scuff on the right cup. It obviously doesn't have an impact on the sound, but it is there (pics will be up fairly soon). What does impact the sound is the mods I've done. The stock sound is ok, but I can see why a lot of people don't necessarily like it, so I spent some time trying out different tweaks before finding what I have now.

Basically, I've dampened the outside of the interior driver housing (but left all the vents open). I then removed the grey foam rings which opens up the cups a lot (more bass quantity). To help counter the bass push, I dampened the back of the outer housing around the driver with cotton (so it lets some through, but not all). Lastly, I also dampened the cups themselves (there's an indentation from where they put a lip to screw the wood to the rest of the frame, and I filled that in with tak). The end result is less congested, more punchy, a little more open/less forward, and just overall more pleasant sound to my ears. It really allows the speed to show, and its more articulate with details. Also, isolation has been improved a bit.

SOLD

I am also selling my E-MU 0404 USB and Little Dot I+.

Here's my feedback:
Heatware
Head-Fi

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 4

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
yg e m

Users who are viewing this thread