(SOLD)4TH PRICE DROP $550 NEED TO SELL FAST MAKE OFFERS Heavily Modded Bottlehead Crack, Tung Sol 6080wb and Tungsram ECC82 w/ lots of extra tubes
Status
Not open for further replies.
Type
For Sale or Trade
Currency
USD
Price
May 23, 2015 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ZachPtheDude

100+ Head-Fier
Sold

PRICE DROP, $550 SHIPPED OR BEST OFFER (ALSO IINTERESTED IN TRADES FOR CASH + DACs, OR HEADPHONES + CASH OR JUST HEADPHONES OFFER AWAY)

Built this Bottlehead Crack a little less than 2 months ago. Will include prices I paid for tubes and upgrades.

Power tubes included:
Tung Sol 6080wb with graphite plates $50-100 on ebay since I last looked
GE-JAN 6AS7G ($10-20 at most)
Thomson CSF 6080WA $25
Collins 6080 $5
GE 6080 that came with kit

Input tubes included:
2 Tungsram ECC82/12AU7 $40 shipped
1 RCA Cleartop 12au7 grey plates $15
1 RCA black plate 12au7 $15
Included with these input tubes will be 8 other 12au7/a tubes, a couple Tung Sol, a 5814A but no brand markings, an RCA,and 4 General Electric 12au7s with some variations between them, all 8 cost me $30 on ebay iirc.

Upgrades and modifications include:

Replaced the electrolytic 100uf, 160vdc coupling capacitors with 100uf, 400vdc Solen PB-MKP-FC film capacitors, mounted with zip ties, $35 each, $70 total. I then bypassed the Solens with 1uf, Sprague 730P capacitors which I snubbed with a .1uf Vishay-Roederstein MKP 1837 based on this tip:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/capacitor_film_visrod.html

Replaced the stock volume potentiometer with a VALab 23 step attenuator, $33 shipped

Replaced the last resister in the power supply filter with a Triad C7-X choke, creating a CRCLC filter. $15 shipped

After installing the choke I replaced the last 220uf, 250vdc electrolytic capacitor in the power supply with a 100uf, 400vdc Obligatto PSU film capacitor, $50 shipped.

Sounds wonderful, great upper and lower extension, good bass feel for headphone amp, grain free treble, and absolutely euphoric mids. This is a great amplifier.

Amp is fully functional, I hear absolutely no noise without music playing, volume turned up, and my sennheiser hd650s plugged in. I decided against adding the speedball, with the modifications I've made to the power supply I love how quiet the amp is, the mods also improved the speed and dynamics of the amplifier while maintaining some of the tubey smoothness they say is lost when you install the speedball. I love the sound of this amplifier and you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding tube amplifier, with this many tubes, for a cheaper price.

This amp will pair perfectly with your high impedance headphones and it comes with a top notch tube combo, and plenty of competent backup tubes so you can tube roll to your heart's desire.

Price is $600 plus $75 for shipping to ensure the amplifier and all tubes can be safely packaged and reach their destination without harm. does not include paypal fees. Will ship anywhere in continental US. If you request more pictures or have anymore questions PM me!

I have not previously sold on Head-Fi but I have made a purchase and I have feedback selling and buying on eBay.

Thanks for looking!

Ps: some of the photos at the end are a couple weeks old and show a different bypass cap connected to the coupling caps, and one even shows the internals minus the last power supply capacitor. The most recent pictures have the sprague 730p capacitors (white color) ziptied to the big black capacitors,

May 24, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 6

ZachPtheDude

100+ Head-Fier
I also have an MHDT Labs Paradisea 3 that I am considering selling/bundling with the amp, $400 for the DAC that comes with a Tesla 6CC42 tube, the stock GE 5667, and a russian equivalent spare. Also included are 3.0uf solen film output capacitors, which improves bass response, extension and feel. Will include the stock 2.0uf MHDTLabs film capacitors. Can post pics if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread