soha tubes - how much impact on sound?
Mar 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

adamus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have recently put together my first Soha, fed by an alien dac.

I currently have a cheapy GE 12au7 tube in there. At the moment this amp is not competing with my littledot II+.

How much can i expect from tube rolling, possibly to mullards or maybe RCA blacks?

One last point, the lm 337t gets hot! i have put another alu plate on it aswell as a heatsink, is this normal?

Cheers

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm amazed you think the LDII+ sounds better then the SOHA.IMO the LDII+ is congested has a muddy sound. You can see my SOHA vs. LDII+ comparison in the Headphone Amp section, if you want to give it a look.

As far as tubes you might want to give the electro harmonix 12au7a a listen. I noticed there wasn't a huge sound difference in most tubes, but you should notice them. Also you might want to try a OPA627 op amp as well.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 15
Tube selection is probably at least 60% of the sound of the SOHA.

And the common logic about what sounds good in other circuits can sometimes not hold true in the SOHA.

Didn't really care for my telefunken 12au7a in my SOHA, for example. RCA 5963 blows it out of the water.

Don't discount the need to burn in a new tube for several hours, up to a couple days.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 15
As Heatmizer says, the LM337 is the hottest part on the board, by far.

I agree with Eric's assessment of the tube and its affects on the sound. The opamp is close to the rest of it. The coupling caps have an affect somewhere close to or less than the opamp, but you can't roll them very well. Whereas, the tube and opamp are plug and un-plug. There are many reviews of various 12AU7 types for the SOHA - I've written a couple, in fact. Just search for SOHA tube reviews here and on Headwize. Tube rolling is great fun in the standard SOHA and the differences are great, maybe even extreme sometimes.

Good ones that are worth trying (I limited myself to <$20.00 tubes):

NOS:
GE 5963 (my and many other's favorite), big soundstage, does everything good - lots of detail. At one time, was as cheap as $4 at many tube dealers. Comes closest to operating at the SOHA's plate voltage. The SOHA biases at 40V, but the GE 5963 uses only 70V. That's another reason it's often cheap - it can't stand the plate voltage in many typical 12AU7 amps (100V).
GE 6680 Best highs - really extended, liquid and sweet
Raytheon CK5814A - Very nice, outstanding tube construction and it sounds like it.
Sylvania Gold Brand GB-5814A - very similar to the Raytheon above.

NEW:
ElectroHarmonix 12AU7 - very powerful tube, takes forever to break-in, but worth it - powerful bass with steely highs
JJ ECC82 - pretty much the standard tube for many, it does everything very well, very dependable.

As Eric states, there is no guarantee that a supposedly "boutique" 12AU7 type will sound good in the SOHA. As mentioned up there with the comments on the GE 5963 - the SOHA's plate voltage is 40VDC, whereas the normal plate voltage for a 12AU7 is 100V. That means they'll all sound different than what they're supposed to.

As for the output stage - short of the JISBOS, your best bet is to find an OPA2107 - that has worked the best for me and several others. Similar to the OPA627, it's often rejected in other amps because of a rather high voltage requirement. That's not an issue in the SOHA. Another good option is two OPA551's on a Brown Dog adapter. Either one of those combinations is a definite improvement over the OPA2134.

Of course, my own bias for a particular tube hybrid is well known around here (MAX).
wink.gif
wink.gif
Still, the SOHA is a lot of fun at a low cost. As with most DIY amps, it will probably best many similar commercial amps costing 3-4 times as much.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 15
thanks for the advice. I have ordered the Electroharmonix 12au7, i am after some strong bass on my alessandros.

After about 10 hrs use the soha is beginning to compete with the little dot II+. the highs are opening up and the bass is smoother.

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Hey asamus, I think you'll really find the SOHA will out shine the LDII+ with a tube upgrade and burn in time.

Enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 15
I recieved the electroharmonix tube just now,

with 0 hours burn in it sounds infinitaly better than the previous tube, which i now suspect wasnt very good at all, probably slightly duff.

I now have a black background, full bass (which i expect to deliver a bit more power with burn in?) very slightly recessed highs, again something that should develop with some play time.

completely different amp now, bye bye ldII+

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I have recently put together my first Soha, fed by an alien dac.

I currently have a cheapy GE 12au7 tube in there. At the moment this amp is not competing with my littledot II+.

How much can i expect from tube rolling, possibly to mullards or maybe RCA blacks?

One last point, the lm 337t gets hot! i have put another alu plate on it aswell as a heatsink, is this normal?

Cheers

I am using a amperex orange globe from the 70's made at mullard blackburn and it sounds nice. So a mullard may be worth the 40 bucks you may pay for it.I got mine on ebay. 2 for 30 bucks or so.

You may not get their true sound but you can hear the difference and they do sound nice.These are the best I have.YMMV.

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 15
This electoharmonix is developing some serious bass!

My alessandros are going deeper than i thought they could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back